Sign in to follow this  
Codywhi

first bear!!!

well i was lucky enough to take my first bear today! shot him at ten yards he went another 17 yards and piled up! spot and stalk... me and my dad hunted hard for this one we have scouted over 40 days this year... seen this bear for five days during the hunt was just luck enough to catch up with him today... learned alot about bear hunting from other members on this site. got to chase some bears around with a couple guys from this site this year too.. also got to watch one get whacked early in the hunt... guess it was just my turn..... now its dads turn...

The Stalk:

Well we have seen this bear 6 out of 6 times during the hunt. She would leave the pears about 6:30 to 7:30 every day and head for some cooler country for the day. I finally got to put a stalk on her yesterday but no luck she was on the move again and no way to catch her. so this morning we got into are spot and glassed her up right away I got the general idea of where she was going and I was gone humping it over to where I thought she would cross. When I got to my spot I could hear her coming through the trees. Finally I could see her coming closer and closer she got about 40 yards away when she began to angle right for me. She crossed behind a bush at I thought was 20 yards. So I drew and when she came out she was coming head on but a little quartered to the left I put my 20 yard pin right at the angle I knew I would catch some good stuff and let her rip. As soon as the arrow released I could see the bear backing up and could see a good amount of blood coming from my X spot. I could hear her crash threw the trees. So i marked the spot and went back to tell me dad the great news. after a bunch of congrats and whooos... we headed back to the truck to give her time and to empty out are badlands... about and hour later we got to my marked spot and began the tracking we found where she was hit and found my arrow then around a bush and my dad says “there she is”... she went a total of 17 yards, my shot was 10 yards. My 415 grain gold tip with my 80lb Hoyt did the job for sure. I have to admit it was only a 10 yard shot but one of the tough’s shots I have had to make in my bow hunting career so far. People say they get easier but I think they are full of it…. The hunt was in 34a and it was a sow.

post-892-1283022230_thumb.jpg

post-892-1283022454_thumb.jpg

Huge congrats!!!! How about a write up that puts us all there beside you when you smoke that big bear?

Definitely the CW.com Hat!!! Oh and all your hardwork too :)

Congratulations on your bear....spot and stalk at 10 yards!! Wow, yeah, I vote for more details on the stalk!

Beautiful color! Looks like that guy was really low in elevation! Did you glass him up in prickly pears? By the way, it wasn't luck...40 days of scouting in the field simply paid off!