Sign in to follow this  
liv4coues

What's the bag limit on scorpions?

My wife decided she wanted to clean out the diaper bag last Wednesday night. When she reached down into one of the exterior pockets, she felt a poke on her finger and wondered why there was a sharp object in the diaper bag. She then realized she had just been stung by a scorpion, which was confirmed when the scorpion quickly crawled out of the pocket. After calming her down (she said it was the worst pain she's ever felt, with the exception of child labor) and calling poison control, I went back over to the bag to kill the scorpion, which by that time had crawled back into the pocket. When I lifted up the bag to get the scorpion out, it and a baby scorpion fell out of the pocket. When I saw the baby scorpion, I thought that was probably bad news, but I didn't know how bad. I did some quick internet research and learned that scorpions typically have between 2 and 100 babies. With that knowledge, I pulled out the black light and the search began. During the following four and half hours, we tracked down and killed the other eight babies. They weren't easy to find because they were tiny, they weren't in the diaper bag pocket, and they blended in pretty well with our wood floor. Needless to say, neither of us slept well for the four hours we tried to sleep that night. We hope we found all of the babies, but the black light is getting a lot of use every night and morning. I hope the family picture, with the dime for reference, gives you some idea just how small those nasty little critters were.

Fortunately, my wife didn't have an allergic reaction to the sting. Her hand and arm, up to the elbow, were numb for a day. The tip of her finger is still numb. Poison control said it could take up to two weeks for the numbness to completely go away. We're just thankful our one year-old, who loves to dig things out of bags, wasn't stung.

post-2167-1283139152_thumb.jpg

That sucks man. Hope the little one doesn't get zapped by one. One time the bug man was over spraying and I was cleaning the garage. Had a momma scorpion with about 100 babies on its back come running out from under a piece of cardboard. I yelled and the bug man came running and sprayed them. The babies popped off the mom like popcorn popping. Make sure you check your bed and shoes, they like those areas.

Wow! cool photo! My husband found a baby scorpion in our bathroom sink the other day and he was very worried that meant there were many more, but we used the blacklight and never found anymore.... I can understand why you and your wife had trouble sleeping! And THANK GOD you didn't put a diaper on the baby with a scorpion in it!

I removed two scorpion nesting palm trees this morning and it took almost 3 hours. I hate scorpions. I been stung on my foot in the middle of the night once and it is painful. I have a cat that looks for insects to eat and they don't get affected by scorpions and I also have three black light which home depot sells for 10 bucks and works really well, I would recommend you do a sweep around the house for those devilish creatures and think about a cat LOL :lol: ... I'm happy that it didn't get your kid though... THANK GOD

I hate scorpions!!! I have 3 little kids and we live right next to the edge of the desert. My 13 year old nephew got stung last year and had a bad reaction. It affected his motor skills so bad that he couldn't walk or talk and was drooling all over himself. My wife would probably go nuts if she found a scorpion in the diaper bag or baby's room. It's good to know that you found them. Crazy stuff!!

A neighbor got stung by a baby rattlesnake while taking out the trash about 6 weeks ago and ended up in intensive care. Not a big fan of the poisonous critters.

Hey liv4coues.... I own a pest control company if you want someone to come do the pest control, I will give you a good deal. That goes for anyone on the forum that may want pest control!

Acording to this one, you may have another 10 little ones on the loose. 19 babies and Momma! Killed tonight,,,, I hate these!!!

post-2686-1283403839_thumb.jpg

My 4 year old got stung in March and we had to take him to the hospital. It was pretty scary, he couldn't control his body, his eyes were wandering around. It was like he was having a seizure. They pumped him with two bags of this anti venom and eventually knocked him out and slept for awhile. The next day it was as if nothing happened. His mom was pretty freaked for sure. I go scorpion hunting about every other night now, lol. I started keepin stats of how many I find inside and outside.