Sign in to follow this  
boomsaki

Unit 33 suggestions

sounds like there are some big ones there. maybe i will put in there next year

They were actually skinny and wearing bright colored shirts, not much meat on them... ;)

Its a good area to hunt. Ive hunted it the last two years and have a tag this year. Plan on being in shape and walking some fairly rough terrain. Good Luck with the hunt!

+1 on keeping hunting areas close to the vest. 33 is a large unit LOADED with large coues. Find good draws at the bases of a mountain or hilly terrain and search. Water will be very useful, but even more so is getting off the road a little and hiking up and into the hills. That alone will increase your odds of success in this unit greatly. I grew up hunting this unit and have seen first-hand how the hunt has changed. WAY too many road hunters, slob hunters, overhunted areas, etc. Get off the roads and hike.

I have hunted/glassed the exact same place that Bellota sited on three different occasions. Although it looks choice I didn't see sh--. Maybe he is not really giving an actual hunting spot :lol:.

Bob

i have the oct 32 hunt i'll b at the hendrickson ranch up on the switch back. stop by and say hey. love all the censorship requests

I use to hunt 32 it is a great unit. I stopped when I realized I needed a new set of BFGs after every hunt. Tough on tires. That is why I will only hunt 22 the best unit in the state. Everyone should put in there. Good luck on your hunt.

Bob

WAY too many road hunters, slob hunters, overhunted areas, etc. Get off the roads and hike.

I don't know about you but I wish there were more road hunters out there. The more people on the roads the less I'll run into back in the sticks. The only people that should be complaining about too many road hunters are other road hunters. Everyone please stop encouraging road hunters to get off the roads and hike. Road hunting is the only way to go ;)

I've hunted 33 for 2 season and I saw all my bucks from the road. No need to do all the work of hiking to get a buck just drive up to a nice vantage point, pull out the optics and lawn chair and pop open a box of Twinkes. Doesn't get any better then this! And if you don't see anything after about an hour or so then jump in the nice air conditioned truck and cool off while listening to some good ol George Strait until you find another good vantage point to glass from. Once you find a new location get out and do it all over again but this time rip open a bag O' jerky and bust open a nice cool beverage because obviously the Twinkes didn't work out for you. The key to good road hunting is variety in your snack choices. Try different snacks until you find the one that produces bucks. For me its Ho Ho's and Cactus Cooler this combo is deadly on big ol' road bucks. Another road hunting tip while hunting unit 33 is to always have some George Strait in the CD player. For some reason or another GS is the only music that will help you find those roadie bucks in 33. It's almost like when they hear good Ol' George singing they say "hey that's some good music right there I'm going to get up and see where it's coming from". Use these tips and your unit 33 hunt will be freaking AWESOME!

I use to hunt 32 it is a great unit. I stopped when I realized I needed a new set of BFGs after every hunt. Tough on tires. That is why I will only hunt 22 the best unit in the state. Everyone should put in there. Good luck on your hunt.

Bob

thank you bob, same to you partner

Hunter X,

You are absolutely correct, my apologies. Road hunting is the only possibly successful method to hunt this unit. In fact, when road hunting, you should return to camp around 8:00 A.M. and do not go back out until about 4:00 P.M. That is the only time deer move in this unit.

Unit 33 is a great unit lots of mature bucks because most people road hunt. Good canyons all over the north side of the catalinas also the gap.

Unit 33 is a great unit lots of mature bucks because most people road hunt. Good canyons all over the north side of the catalinas also the gap.
you just made a handfull of people cry

I have a late november unit 33 hunt. the best way to find out where to go it to just get out there and start driving up the backside of mt lemmon.

there are so many deer in this unit. you just have to put in the time and scout. get back as far as you can, but watch out it is very nasty terrain. good luck

I have scoutted this area I also have a tag for the Oct-22 hunt. I have been out 5 times and Sunda will make 6, the only thing that I find bothering me is that I dont see alot of people out scoutting. I have my area Picked out but sure hope I dont get ambushed while im out... I have been Hiking in 3-4 miles,but with all the talk about over hunting im starting to worry. This is my 1st hunt in the area and I have done alot of driving and hiking so far. PM me with your thoughs on the true amount of hunters in the area. I will tell you where im going to start but would like to here from so people Who have hunted this Unit for awhile. Sorry for the long post, Also im not looking for you honey holes I will find my own just want to really here about the amount of road hunters back packers ETC,ETC that way i can know if my game plan is going to work.. Thank you. Dave...