Sign in to follow this  
azcouesfanatic

AZ Speed Goat

Well my good friend Jason from New Mexico finally drew an Arizona Antelope tag. I scouted as much as I could and I was able to find a few good goats with the help of a couple of friends. Opening morning found us looking at a really good goat with twenty does. However I am not a great judge of antelope so we were jut not sure how good he was. We were hoping to find an antelope around the 80 inch mark. We decided to pass on this goat since it was only five minutes into the hunt. Throughout the day we were able to get on five more bucks and it was obvious the first buck was by far the best. We headed back and we immediately located the buck with his does. We were able to close the distance to 200 yards but we could only see the bucks horns and he just never presented a shot. It finally got dark and we backed out.

The next morning found us looking at the same buck. My wife was along for an extra set of eyes so she kept an eye on the buck while we moved in. We were able to close the distance to five hundred yards before we ran out of cover. We would crawl a hundred yards and they would feed a hundred yards farther. After doing this for three hours the antelope finally started to move off and they went over a rise. This gave us the chance to close the distance. After covering 1000 yards we were finally cresting the hill they had gone over. The backside of the hill was much thicker with junipers. Jason spotted the herd once again 500 yards out. However, due to the cover we were able to move much faster to close the distance. We played cat and mouse in the trees for an hour before Jason made a great 425 yard shot on his Arizona antelope.

The buck scored right at 81". To say the least we were both excited. Besides killing a great buck the best part of the hunt was that my wife was back at the truck and she was able to drive the nearly three miles right to us and pick us up. That was worth its weight in gold.

Hope you enjoy

Brian

post-3635-1283964459_thumb.jpg

Good on you guys! That is a great pronghorn! Well worth the wait I am sure. I was very fortunate to have some great help before and during my hunt as well. Makes it that much sweeter when there is someone around to share in the good times!

Nice work,

Nick