Sign in to follow this  
jefftrucker12

edit

What a waste! Always wonder if it was just a shot gone bad or someone just shootin arrows hoping(which is wrong :angry: ). I have heard of people shooting animals in the rifle season with arrows healed up sticking out of the animal. A guy I worked with told me of 2 bulls he found dead with arrows in them by Munds Park scouting for the rifle hunt a few years ago.

Wow that is a bummer. You might stop by some hunting camps that you think are near to where the bull is. Maybe they have been looking for a wounded animal and you can help them find it before it dies. Even if it's not the hunter who originally shot it, then you might find a tag holder that is willing to shoot it.

What a waste! Always wonder if it was just a shot gone bad or someone just shootin arrows hoping(which is wrong :angry: ). I have heard of people shooting animals in the rifle season with arrows healed up sticking out of the animal. A guy I worked with told me of 2 bulls he found dead with arrows in them by Munds Park scouting for the rifle hunt a few years ago.

Even though I like your avatar I am real sensitive to these type of posts where everyone talks about finding elk that the irresponsible archers wound and don't recover. I think it is safe to say that rifle hunters wound as many, if not more elk, during their hunt. In fact it is assured that many elk are wounded and the rifle hunter doesn't even realize it. Elk are tough animals and are real hard to bring down. The wounded elk in the picture has a real good chance for survival in my opinion. Later in the year a rifle hunter may harvest it, find the arrow head and again lament the " irresponsible archer." Yet the irreponsible rifle hunter gets no blame from lack of evidence.

Bob

I think my post came across wrong. I am not blaming any one group of specifically. I think the difference between a bullet and arrow, other than the obvious, is that a bullet can kill just by shock to the nervous system from dumping its energy, while an arrow doesnt so much. Thus, an animal maybe being wounded and running off. Am I saying anything bad about archery?? No..absolutely not. I am more referring to those who throw up the "hail mary" shots-wound an animal and may never know it. I have witnessed this in a rifle deer hunt, and the hunter openly admitted. So it applies to all ;) .

from the looks of the hit - it possably a none vital area - not much up in that area to kill an animal unless it hit artery - in this case the bul will most likely live to fight/breed agin -

he maybe slowed down for a few days - if not dragging a leg or worse - i say his chance for full recovery are better than average -

try agin to locate in the next few days - sure he'll be easy to find - locate closes water - he'll show up- great picks - Gary

Even though I like your avatar I am real sensitive to these type of posts where everyone talks about finding elk that the irresponsible archers wound and don't recover. I think it is safe to say that rifle hunters wound as many, if not more elk, during their hunt. In fact it is assured that many elk are wounded and the rifle hunter doesn't even realize it. Elk are tough animals and are real hard to bring down. The wounded elk in the picture has a real good chance for survival in my opinion. Later in the year a rifle hunter may harvest it, find the arrow head and again lament the " irresponsible archer." Yet the irreponsible rifle hunter gets no blame from lack of evidence.

Bob

+1 well said...

Bob

I think his avatar sux! :lol:

He never said anything bad about archers though. Nobody knows what the conditions were when the hunter took the shot. Hopefully the bull survives.

This sounds like a superman archery hunter that can shoot 100 yards with no problems and has the wounded bull to prove it.

I get the feeling that this is a look at what bowhunters DO post. There is no other value in posting this other than that.

Delete this thread it has no value why would someone post something like this.

As a "hunter" archery or rifle this is the worst thing that can happen. Why the heck would you put this on a board for everyone to see.

This sounds like a superman archery hunter that can shoot 100 yards with no problems and has the wounded bull to prove it.

I get the feeling that this is a look at what bowhunters DO post. There is no other value in posting this other than that.

As a "hunter" archery or rifle this is the worst thing that can happen. Why the heck would you put this on a board for everyone to see.

+100

Ultra

Although I agree with your sentiments I could understand why Jeff would post it since he had concern and he did witness something that I hope is a very rare occurrence. Also he provided info on G+F policy that many don't know about and seems to many to be cold hearted which is basically a hunter without a tag cannot mes with an animal or recover meat no matter how much it is suffering or how much meat is wasted.

Bob

I think your point is very valid, but as with everything...you take the good with the bad. Hunting is no different. I dont think the post or posters intent was to be boastful or malicious. Just sharing what he saw. Hopefully the bull heals up or someone sticks him good and finishes the deal.