Kilimanjaro

Back from our goat hunt...

Well, I just got back from our annual pronghorn hunt and I must say that we had the best year yet. The day before season opened, we videoed a buck that we all decided was a shooter. That night we all decided to draw straws to see who would get a crack at him. My buddy Kevin was the was the lucky winner of the straw draw. The next morn, he was in the same draw and Kevin ended his hunt in the first 20 minutes of opening morning. He was a super buck!! He ended up grossing 84 3/8ths as is, and would have grossed 85 4/8ths if he hadn't broke off. He is 17 5/8ths on his longest horn. What a buck...

Now to my hunt. We spent the remainder of the opening morn caping and quatering Kevins buck. We started my hunt at around 2 PM. We saw lots of up and comers but nothing that really piqued my interest. Late that evening, we found a buck with a big group of does that we got close enough to that we could get a good look at him. We both thought he was right on the 80" mark. I thought it over and decided to pass because it was just the opening day. Nothing else was seen that day. That night, I kept going over that buck in my head and kept thinking he was better than what we thought he was. I decided that if we could find him the next morn, I would take him. Well, the next morn, we found him in pretty much the same area. They were in a bowl that had a hill off to the east that we used as cover. We circled around them and snuck up the hill to where we thought they would be below us. We got to the top of the hill and sure enough, they were right at 220 yds down the hill. The bad news was that they intantly saw us. They started getting antsy, and I decided to take the shot. The .223 WSM barked, and I had my 05 buck. He was a pleasent suprise to all of us. He was ALOT more massive than we had anticipated. And longer too! He was 16 7/8ths on his long side and ended up with a gross score of 83 2/8ths as is. Had he not broken, he would have grossed 85 even. Not bad for a buck that I passed on the day before!!

It was a good goat hunt to say the least....

Here is Kev's toad..

2.jpg

And here is mine...

27.jpg

29.jpg

Wow is right, Them are some BIG bucks. Congrats :D

Guest Ernesto C

Scotty,where in Wyoming? Private or public land? See? and you did not want to buy those Swaros :D I bet you you glass them with them ha? :D

Congratulations to the both of you and God bless.

Ernesto C.

Always keep the wind in your face

dang those are some toads! i am so signing up for next year! how did that tripod and those brand new swarovski 15x56 bad boys work out? post a pic with that bad butt tripod you got! man thats sweet!

Scott,

You gotta teach me how to use that PhotoShop program you keep raving about. How you ever got a speed goat with those Bushnell Sportview binoculars and Remington 710 with Trashco scope is beyond me :D .

Congrats to you and Kevin on two more great bucks.

RR

Casey, ask and you shall receive. Here is a pic of Kev with my Swaro 15's on the tripod and his Swaro 15's around his neck. Man, I sure am glad I saved enough scratch to buy those binos and tripod. i went ahead and bought a brand new set. I got a great deal on them. And Casey found the tripod setup for me. You can't ask for a better setup for coues and goat hunting. I can't wait to use it in a few weeks on the coues hunt. Hopefully, there will be a Booner in the FOV on opening morning..

15.jpg

Congrats on some nice goats. Way to go, good luck on your coues hunt later. Sure is a great time of year.

Houston

They are a Super pair of goats! Congratulations!

What part of Wy were you in. I was up there near Cheyenne until Saturday, then headed back as I did not have a tag. Saw Deer, Turkeys, Coyotes and Lots of Lopes!

Scottyboy

I know, I know, you did not say it in this thread but I thought you had said it in a thread a while back.

Sorry if I was wrong on that as my memory seems to fade occasionally :(

So what part of WY were you in? :ph34r: :D

Scottyboy

I know, I know, you did not say it in this thread but I thought you had said it in a thread a while back.

Sorry if I was wrong on that as my memory seems to fade occasionally :(

So what part of WY were you in? :)  :D

Nice Goats and I like how the Swaros get in the photo. I guess you are going to tell us they were taken in Unit 45 :blink: . Thats where all the big critters are harvested. :lol: :lol: