Sign in to follow this  
azrcks

1st Bull down super fun hunt

Well, after 4 scouting trips and a ton of rain I thought as many thought that the rutting action would be great, and the first few days were not bad. Then it seemed as a heat wave came upon us all bugling nearly stopped. We had scouted an old tree stand before the hunt that was on a small isolated water hole, unfortunately the trail cam showed only smaller satelite bulls coming in. After trying to chase silent bulls we decided to sit the stand and see if I could arrow my first bull and if the bugling picked up we would change our tactics again. Sooooo after 31 hours in the stand and 7 days into the hunt a dinky 3x came in with a small body but not too far behind him was a small 5x5 with a decent sized body, the smaller bull came in at 8.5 yards and started to drink as went to full draw, the 5x5 entered and turned broadside at 15 yards. I released and got a completer pass thru as he took off, I did not have my binos so I tried to look at the arrow thru the range finder to see blood but I soon heard him crash within 75 yards of the stand. WooHoo first bull down. I immediately called a friend of mine who had a cabin in the area and a quad who by the way also had a tag (different app, probably will never happen again) We an hour later and worked our way back to the bull as we were breaking the bull down a small black bear came within 15 feet of us and made us all fairly nervous as mom must be close. We kept a lookout for her but fortunately never saw her but the little guy would not scare off as we started to think he may be orphaned. We later let G&F know if they wanted to check it out as he would most likely be on the carcass for a day or so. So the next day "day 8" we went fishing on the Black River after dropping our meat off at Rusty's. It was awesome being out there with the stress of the hunt over but also knowing that maybe I should of held out for a bigger one. I am happy with my decision as now I have one under my belt and next time (6-9 years :lol: ) I can hold out for a big one. On the nineth day we packed up camp and started to roll out at 8:30am when I noticed a voice mail from my other buddy with a tag, he had shot a 6x6 that morning and needed help, we were estatic to hear this and to be able to repay the favor. So we cntinued to roll out and drove straight to his cabin, we changed and we all (my buddy, his wife and dog, and me and my hunting partner) went to the kill site just a few miles from the cabin :P We helped him break that bull down and then we were on our way home. All and all a great trip. Thanks to Carlos for coming with me without a tag and away from family to get up at 3am 7 days in a row and thanks to Hank and Deb for the hospitality with dinners at the cabin and being able to do laundry you guys are awesome.

Now for pics, these go from scouting to then end we had over 300 pics these were my favorites....enjoy.

DSC02477.jpg

DSC02481.jpg

DSC02516.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02539.jpg

IMG_6343.jpg

IMG_6418c.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

IMG_6891s.jpg

IMG_6923.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_6992.jpg

IMG_6993.jpg

IMG_6998.jpg

IMG_7003c.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

IMG_7013.jpg

IMG_7014.jpg

IMG_7016.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7097.jpg

IMG_7102.jpg

Congrats on a great hunt and achieving a successful harvest, something that many dream about but never accomplish. The pictures are outstanding, shows that you not only focused on the pursuit but also enjoyed your surroundings and the 'hunt' itself, nice job!

Congratulations.

loved all the pics.

I always find it hard to keep the camera rolling when I'm out.

I'm glad you didn't as you'll cherish the photos for years to come.

Congratulations and I enjoyed all the extra pics! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and post the photos! Now kick back and enjoy the backstraps!! :)

Thanks for all the replies, I am glad to share. We've had backstraps, tenderloins, and some awesome jalapeno and cheese summer sausage from Rusty's, just recieved all the meat Friday night.