Sign in to follow this  
5yearcoueshunter

Valle Vidal Muzzleloader Bull

Hey everyone,

I just got back from my once and a lifetime muzzleloader bull hunt in the Valle Vidal. It was an unbelievable experience with tons of bugling, good weather and geourgeous scenery. The first morning was unbelievable with non-stop bugling and constant action. I saw at least 15 to 20 bulls, however most of them were young so I passed on most of them. I had never passed an elk before so this was somewhat difficult. Especially since most of them were bigger than the one bull I've shot. lol I only saw one really good bull that probably went between 330 and 350, but one of his 20+ cows busted me as I was moving in and they took off. Around 11:00 the constant bugling from 5 am finally ceased so we went back to camp for a short lunch break. At 2:00 we went back to the area where we saw the big bull and set up on a small clear cut. The wind was blowing pretty good so we really didn't expect to hear or see anything till close to dark. Well around 5:00 me and my hunting parnter Jim were caught totally surprised when my bull came into the clear cut and walked right up to about 50 yards from us. He looked like a good bull with long tines so I decided to take him. My aim was true and the muzzleloader did it's job. He ran about 50 yards and expired. When I got to him, I realized he wasn't quite as big as I thought he was but I was still very happy with him. It ended by far the best day of elk hunting I've ever had and I was very happy but also somewhat sad that my once and a lifetime hunt was over. It was an experience and a day I'll never forget. After getting him skinned, quartered and hung up, we got back to the truck and met up with my uncle and Dad around 9 pm. The next day we were lucky to find a good path for the mile back in to take him out on the deer carrier. We got him back to camp and in the ice box, so we decided to stay a couple extra days to just camp, fish and enjoy the place. Here is some pics. Hope you enjoy.

Scenery

PA020039.jpg

Nice muley that just lost his velvet

PA010025.jpg

My Trophy

PA020028.jpg

PA030048.jpg

Packing out

PA020033.jpg

Ride home

PA040057.jpg

Thanks,

Travis

Hey Travis

You are one lucky dude...A Valle Vidal hunt, man I bet that was a blast. Congrats on a great bull.

We'll be camped in the same spot on the 30th. Drop by and have a beer with us around the camp fire... ;)

Thanks everyone!

Tommy, that hunt was a blast. Non stop action. I felt very very fortunate to draw the tag and fortunate to hit it just right with the rutting action. It will be a hunt I'll never forget.

We are definitely going to make the beer thing happen this year! Less than 3 weeks to go!

Travis

Dang the 3rds on that brute are long!! Nice pix of everything that went on.

Nice bull. Since I've never hunted elk, but I would be thrilled with such an animal.

I got the opportunity to shed hunt the Valle Vidal back in June and saw some absolute monster elk in velvet while there. I've thought of putting in for that hunt numerous times as a non-resident, but then I think of how vast 101,000 acres is and the logistics of putting that hunt together :blink: .

Great job on finding the elk and sealing the deal. -Shiras