Sign in to follow this  
galiuro mountain man

december hunters

I hunted hard from day break and got back to the jeep at dusk. I saw 9 does. The snow was about 3 inches deep in the area I hunted and it was foggy on and off all morning. I didn't see any of the does untill the sun peeked through about 9 am. 3 of the does I saw was about 4:30 pm and were bedded in the open. I watched while a herd of pigs walked into them and spooked them. After they saw they were pigs they calmed down and started feeding down the ridge.

I'll be up and ready to go again in the morning at 4:00 am

I LOVE IT!

The bucks have got to be there. They were sure hidding from me today. I think the early rut theory was just hopefull thinking.

Dave

I also just got back cut I am hunting with my bow. Had a great day today. I spotted a 24 inch wide 4 by Muley. Salked him but spooked. In the afternoon I glassed up 2 does and a buck Coues. A small 3 by. I stalked them and they spooked as well. While looking for the Coues I ran into a nice muley probly 25 inches wide. 70 yards away, to far to shoot.

We hunted hard today, but got skunked. Its ok, at least we got to spend time in the mountains. We hunted the same place as we did in Aug. where we saw over 30 deer a day (over half were bucks), today we saw none, and hardly any sign. We talked to the rancher and he said that there were a bunch of lions there now. Explains low deer count. There was one lion got on thanksgiving weekend and there is at least two more in the same canyon. If anyone hunts lions let me know, I know where to find them, and the ranchers will let us know where to find more. Maybe we could get together and chase them around the mountain together. Anyways that is how my hunt went, hope everyone did better.

Good luck everyone.

Hi All,

I just got back from 3 days backpacking in 24A. Was a great hunt, but didn't connect yet. Saw lots of deer, lots of bucks, and at least two that would go about 100 inches. But one of those bucks had his right side broken off after the eyeguard. But man did he look good on his left side. nice eyeguards, tall seconds, kinda short 3rds, but wide and long main beams (at least based on his unbroken side!). He was with a doe and following her around. Another buck followed them. Saw several smaller bucks running does around. Even a spike chasing a fawn. So the rut is starting, but the big boys are not quite into it yet. Mostly the younger bucks.

We camped out thursday night during the rain and snowstorm. We didn't have a tent, just bivy sacks. Made for a long night! here are a few pics from opening morning. It was a very cold day and very foggy. Tough to glass anywhere past 50 yards! But the next two days were stellar.

Scott, I was really wishing I had your goats and your kifaru tent!!!

Amanda

paul-huddled-in-tent.jpg

paul-emerging.jpg

mark-and-amanda-coffee.jpg

Edited by CouesWhitetail

Had a great weekend. After not seeing any bucks on friday, Sat. and Sunday were filled with hours of buck watching. I watched about 8 bucks over the weekend most were nice but two were about 95 to 100 point bucks. Most of the younger bucks I watched were sparring with each other and rubbing high in the junipers, while the two bigger bucks I saw were both tending single does. I even watched two does fighting. They were standing straight up on there hind legs just slapping the heck out of each other with there front hooves. The cliffs and rocks took there toll though, I am going to take today off and hit it hard again in the morning.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Dave

Wow Amanda! I think I'm getting too old to be out like that in those conditions. It would have made for a long 3 days. That tipi and stove would have made a world of difference for you comfort wise. I not sure you would have seen any bigger bucks than you did, though. ;)

I haven't even been out yet. I'm set to go out tomorrow, will let you all know how it goes.

Scott

Guest Travis

Hunted Friday, Saturday, and Sunday morning. Saw 4 bucks Friday one in which I would guess will push or even go over the 100 inch mark. Couldn't get a shot at him. Saturday only produced one buck in which was a 3 point and we decided not to shoot. Sunday morning we glassed and found four does with three bucks. we cut the distance and ended up shooting the nice four pointer that was there. He was measued just over 85 inches which isn't huge but it will work for me and being my first coues hunt. We will come back down over Christmas Holiday to find one for my cousin. We are going to look for the big one that got away. Hopefully we can find him. There are a bunch of does and fawns in the area where he is at so hopefully he will show himself to us. Great hunt and what a great time.

Thought I'd post a response. I've read this forum for a long time and have appreciated the valuable insight into Coues that so many of you possess and share. Anyways, I just thought I'd report quick on my hunt. I was able to get away Friday late afternoon and glassed the last two hours of Friday night without seeing anything. Saturday morning I glassed up a single doe and that was it. Went lower in elevation so I was hunting down in muley country and ending up glassing up a pretty nice coues right before dark. It was a pretty long shot but I was thrilled to tag a nice 3 point coues as low as I have ever seen one before. It made for a fun hunt and I can tell you already that the steaks that came off of it are FANTASTIC! Good luck to all!

I'll second that Amanda. Congratulations Travis and Coueser. I can't wait to get out and take a crack at a big buck. I'll try to photograph the bucks I see and post them here. When you guys get the photos of your bucks make sure you get some to Amanda. I'd like to see a whole page of Coues Whitetail.com regulars that killed bucks this year.

Scott

Hey all,

I had a ball hunting in the snow we had in 24 but the fog really made glassing tough on Friday.

I found quite a few deer but not any whoppers. Found one set of lion tracks in the snow and had a ringtail raid my icechest!

Found elk and mule deer right in with the grey deer. I'll give it a go again next weekend.

Dennis

Went out this morning in 27 and glassed 4 muley does, 8 coues does and 1 Coues buck, he was a little 3 point so will continue the hunt. I wasn't able to get a photo of him. ;) Will try again tomorrow.

Scott

I am leaving tomorrow for wildman country where the snow is deep and the wind is cold. My buddy called today and said the rut is kicking in and the toads are stomping all over the hills looking for the ladies. Hopefully we can luck out and get the deal sealed on one!!!

Bret M.