Sign in to follow this  
GodIsGood

My son's first big game harvest

My son Grant is 12 and loves the outdoors and hunting! After a disappointing hunt last year, I made arrangements to ensure a memorable hunt with Mullins Outfitters. This may come to sound like a Mullins commercial, but I am a HUGE fan Jim [COOSEFAN], his dad Jim Sr, and the outstanding service we received from Mullin's team members Glen, Brian [bUTTERS] and Mullins friends like Brian "lucky" Hurley - who actually glassed up Grant's cow on Sunday afternoon.

If you ask yourself why would anyone hire an outfitter for a youth cow hunt instead of a trophy antler hunt of some kind - you need only look at the expressions on our faces... it felt every bit like my hunt, even though my boy was the shooter.

We arrived to find a very comfortable camp and hot grub all set up for us. It was rather cold opening day and that rotten weather that clobbered the valley was complicating matters for predicting elk behavior.

DSCN0016.jpg

We were into and on elk all weekend, but sitting tanks was not very productive and was not the hunting experience that the Mullins wanted for us. Besides we seemed to attract only bulls, which was exciting and good exposure for Grant, but Jim said he wouldn't allow us to saw the bull's horns off.

DSCN0019.jpg

DSCN0009.jpg

We had friends who had scored at/near tanks, others were successful with spot n stalk... our secret weapon was Mullins experience and 'help from above'. Jim Sr, Glen, Brian 'Butters" and Hurley each took turns glassing from high points and calling instructions to us based on small herd movement.

DSCN0032.jpg

To our surprise, bulls were still with cows - so Grant got to hear bugling and witnessed, up-close-and-personal, Jim Jr. called-in a 3-peticle drop tine bull that gave us a show from about 20yrds while Jim talked dirty to keep him interested.

DSCN0037.jpg

DSCN0033.jpg

Brian and Glen glassed-up a few cows in a wicked canyon on Saturday morning and cow gave Grant his taste of long range disappointment - which was a blessing in disguise because even with Brian's dad Dennis and their horses nearby offering to help any hunters in the area - it would have been a huge task to get the cow out without losing meat due to rising temps. Glen cautioned us that after 2days, Jim will ratchet up the intensity - even though were already wildly successful in seeing elk and getting a shot across that canyon at about 350yrds.

DSCN0049.jpg

By day 3 Jim warned us things could get a "a little nutty" - which they did. The elk had been pushed and chased for a few days - and Jim had kept us well away from any of the high traffic areas - in fact we didnt see one hunter in our hunting areas during our 3 days... sure we saw some fellas in Rhinos and trucks - but the Mullins wanted us to have a man-venture, unmolested and safe hunt... they delivered in spades!

We had walked our butts off and my knees were SHOT... but I kept my mouth shut and took lots of Advil. Our spotters had noticed a sanctuary of sorts where the elk seemed to be hiding, and would only appear in late afternoon. Jim decided that despite how thick the cover was - we could at least get into some action with help from our spotters. Sunday afternoon Hurley spotted the elk, right where they had been hiding before and we hauled butt to get into position. Although Mullins had filmed his entire hunt, Jim Jr. told Jim Sr and me that we would have to sit-this-stalk-out. It was a long shot to sneak up on a herd of about 15 and he didnt want the exposure of 2 extra fellas. I was texting my wife that Grant was on an unlikely stalk when I heard from the spotters that the group of elk had run into the flats and the stalk was over. Little did I know that Jim Jr. and Grant had made 2-3 attempts to talk their way into the thick stuff - then backed out. Having heard the stalk was fubar I grabbed Jim's pack and headed towards the truck as I was told to do if we weren't successful. As I got into the thick stuff I 'bout soiled myself as I busted an elk at close range - not sure if it was a cow or bull, not sure if I had ruined my boy's stalk... I hit the deck as I heard Jim cow-calling.

What I didnt know was there was one last cow that didnt bail with the herd... Jim and Grant had been trying to coax her into the open so he could get a shot. In my accidental way, I helped get that cow into the open long enough for Jim to get her attention with a cow call. When she came out and hesitated for a moment, Jim told Grant that if he had a clear shot to take it! With so much cover the only option Grant had was a head-shot - which he took at about 75yrds from Jim's tripod using his Grandpa's 25-06. The spotters said the heard both the report of the rifle and the SMACK of the impact to her head from a mile and half away! Jim and G told me the concussion shook her melon so hard that her head snapped back and dust flew everywhere! Then strangely enough she turned and pogo-stick hopped on her hind legs a few times - perhaps instinct told her she was in a fight with another cow??

DSCN0063.jpg

She didnt drop right away which really scared me - Jim Sr said successful head shots usually drop them where they were struck - or you often didn't recover the animal. Clearly Grant had hit her hard. She left a blood trail the likes of which I wish I had had on critters I had shot in the past...

DSCN0064.jpg

Grants shot had severed her jugular vein and she managed to run about 200yrds with her throat shot out... before she coughed out a HUGE puddle of blood and expired a few yards away.

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0065.jpg

Of course he's gotta call his mom and tell her all about his man-venture!!!

DSCN0071.jpg

DSCN0079.jpg

meatlocker.jpg

I cant say enough about the professional service and kindness we received from the Mullins Team! They made us feel like kings in camp and in the field! We were successful and satisfied long before my son harvested his first big game animal - they saw to every detail and delivered a memorable hunt - that we will never forget. THANK YOU JIM, JIM, GLEN, BRIAN, and HURLEY! We will never forget the experience y'all delivered.

I am thankful most especially to the Good Lord for keeping us safe and allowing us to humanely harvesting one of His beautiful creatures.

Great story and congratulations to your son. Those youth cow hunts are one of the best ideas game and fish ever had. They are one of the best hunts there is. I have been on many!!

Like everyone said, great story. Thanks for posting the story of the hunt and the pics. Hiring a guide was a great idea for his hunt. Looks like you've got a huntin' buddy for life. Well worth any price. Congratulations.

congrats on a great hunt! What is the value of a father son experience like that? I'd say that was money well spent. Those pics show a happy boy. Good job Dad!!!

Great write up and great hunt. Its experiences like these that I read about that just make me really excited for my little guy (4 year old) to get older so that I can begin to have experiences like these. I remember the outdoor/hunting experiences I had as a child with my father and those are some great memories.

Thanks again for the kind words and for the write-ups Kurt! I'm working on the video now and will hopefully have a clip or more photos to post soon!

That was the perfect cow hunt, I'm not sure if there were any experiences we missed out on, I think we did it all!!! Awesome hunt! JIM>

Thanks again for the kind words and for the write-ups Kurt! I'm working on the video now and will hopefully have a clip or more photos to post soon!

That was the perfect cow hunt, I'm not sure if there were any experiences we missed out on, I think we did it all!!! Awesome hunt! JIM>

cant wait to hear the snoring clip - I'm convinced my wife has been lying all the years!