Sign in to follow this  
clb

Az lion 10/8/2010

I found the tracks of a few different lions in the area a week before. This was the 3rd day I had made a circle with the dogs on horseback. The first day I had a few barks but nothing to exciting. The second day I trailed most the day but with the weather still pretty hot the dogs could not catch it. The third day started out pretty slow I was almost done with the circle when the dogs picked his track up. They were trailing slow in a nice cool canyon so I figured we were on a older track with not much hopes of catching the lion. I was just about to pull them off and head home when the track started getting better so I decited to let them continue. Soon they were trailing on a open south facing slope at a really good pace. It wasn't long tell they jumped him. when I got to that spot I found a freshly eaten skunk. The dogs then got out of hearing and caught him in a rock pile.

The first pic is the skunk foot

post-3354-1286906900.jpg

post-3354-1286906932.jpg

post-3354-1286906987.jpg

Way to go Clayton ;) P.S. You need a new camera bro.

I think you just did us all a favor. So thanks and congrats

How hungery does a montain lion need to be to eat a skunk??

oz31p - For some odd reason lions eat alot of skunks.

oneshot - That horse has always been easy to pack anything on. In my oppinion If you have a good horse and he trusts you then he will be willing to try it. Just be patient and not give the horse a bad experiance.

Way to stick with it buddy. That was an honest lion caught by hard work and persistance, that and Duke&Drifter, hahaha. Well done Man.

AK

oz31p - For some odd reason lions eat alot of skunks.

I wondered why the lions I have been around smelled like skunks. Thought it was a male musk thing..