Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

One Great Buck

Well this year as all years started early during July and August. We had found a few good bucks and had high expectations. Opening morning found me and my buddy Darin and Royce in one of our favorite places that hasn't had much pressure in many years. Well long story short an acquaintance thought he would be cool and started giving directions (coordinates) to this place so we ended up with about 10 people in there. All summer and fall no one had been in here and all of a sudden a bunch of people were there, kind of frustrating, I was a little torqued, but we decided to make the most of it. After glassing a few bucks and watching these guys shoot maybe 12 shots at small bucks (and gut shoot them) we moved away from that spot and to another area we had seen some great bucks. We glassed this buck up at 4:00pm and recognizing from scouting, we decided to kill him. Darin made a great shot at 500 yards.

This buck is a super cool buck, with great eye guards. I scored him quickly at 107 2/8th.

darinbuck2.jpg

He had a bit of velvet still on that had turned black on the right antlers.

Darin1.jpg

After lots of days and lots of bucks I decided to shoot this buck after passing him multiple times during the day. I had a bunch of problems arising at work, I had been away from family for a long time and decided I was done. I shot this buck at dark through one shoulder and neck at 650 yards. He is just under 90 I think.

Mine is the wide one, Jack killed his buck the same evening. I had lost my camera earlier in my elk hunt and took a couple of pictures at dark with my phone.

JackandI.jpg

My2010bucktailgate.jpg

Here is one of the many bears we saw, this picture of this fatty is one of my favorites.

Closebear.jpg

All in all, it was a great hunt, many bucks seen and passed and I had a great time with great friends. A big thanks to Darin and Royce.

Thats a nice looking buck. Congrats you wouldnt happen to have been hunting down south would you? I helped my buddie on his hunt this weekend and we kicked up some bears in 36a this weekend. Just wondering thats the first time Ive seen bear in those mountains. Congrats again on your deer and to your buddies.

Great write up.

Darrins buck is pretty nice. i like the dark antlers, even with the black velvet.

That's one fluffy bear!

Thats a nice looking buck. Congrats you wouldnt happen to have been hunting down south would you? I helped my buddie on his hunt this weekend and we kicked up some bears in 36a this weekend. Just wondering thats the first time Ive seen bear in those mountains. Congrats again on your deer and to your buddies.

Bears in 36A or 34A?

Nice job Houston and co!

Bears in 36A or 34A?

Nice job Houston and co!

He had his hunt in 36A, back behind the mine's. I've seen the bear in 34A and theres alot of them towards Sahurita and Vail along highway 83. Its the first time I've seen them in 36A.

Congrats on some nice bucks! I love the dark antlers, really adds to the buck IMO. Way to not let the amount of people get you guys down. I know I would be pretty torqued as well.