Sign in to follow this  
June

No good BRUSH BEATERS in 35!!!

June, I don't mean to sound as though I'm scoffing at the situation. And I don't mean to imply you didn't make the right call, either. I have never been in a situation like you have shown us and I hope I never am.

So, They are going to understand you're not shooting at them and instead at a deer? They were directly under the fire of our direction.. I wish I could have been as composed as you type.. And I wished It was that easy in making the decision we did...

You're right, it's easier to type out a response than to actually do it. Did they know you were there??? That would factor into the decision, too. Besides, if they think they are being shot at they are going to hightail it out of there or hunker down. I have a hard time believing that a person that believes he/she is being shot at isn't going to run, especially when they may not even be sure where it came from. If they don't know where it came from you shoot the deer and stay out of sight. I know, I know, easy to type it out because I wasn't there. But if I felt the situation was right, I'm shooting. I have come face to face with illegals. I've seen 50 guys walking single file through the desert and I've found 1 dead body. I've watched the BP helicopter and many trucks and agents do a big drug bust that we ended up right in the middle of way back in Peck Canyon. So it's not like I'm just spouting out a response, either. As uncomfortable as you feel seeing them below you, they would feel it a thousand fold when that bullet rips through the air above their heads.

Don't get me wrong and my apologies if I didn't convey my answer appropriately. Please don't take any personal offense. By the picture posted in post #1. Yes, He clearly knows our location....#2 these are not your everyday migrates period...

So, They are going to understand you're not shooting at them and instead at a deer? They were directly under the fire of our direction.. I wish I could have been as composed as you type.. And I wished It was that easy in making the decision we did...

You're right, it's easier to type out a response than to actually do it. Did they know you were there??? That would factor into the decision, too. Besides, if they think they are being shot at they are going to hightail it out of there or hunker down. I have a hard time believing that a person that believes he/she is being shot at isn't going to run, especially when they may not even be sure where it came from. If they don't know where it came from you shoot the deer and stay out of sight. I know, I know, easy to type it out because I wasn't there. But if I felt the situation was right, I'm shooting. I have come face to face with illegals. I've seen 50 guys walking single file through the desert and I've found 1 dead body. I've watched the BP helicopter and many trucks and agents do a big drug bust that we ended up right in the middle of way back in Peck Canyon. So it's not like I'm just spouting out a response, either. As uncomfortable as you feel seeing them below you, they would feel it a thousand fold when that bullet rips through the air above their heads.

Don't get me wrong and my apologies if I didn't convey my answer appropriately. Please don't take any personal offense. By the picture posted in post #1. Yes, He clearly knows our location....#2 these are not your everyday migrates period...

Don't worry, I didn't take any offense. I'm just young and dumb and quick to spout off an arrogant response sometimes :lol: Really, I'd probably run and scream like a girl. And if they're looking at you, then yeah, I'm not shooting either. The last thing I want is to be shot at.

I believe that there are certain situations that are absolutely impossible to imagine unless you have been through it. I was robbed at gunpoint just about 10 years ago and as it was happening I was 100% sure I was going to die. It was an unreal experience. Point being, I wasn't there, there's no way to say how I would've reacted.

Daryl S, Yeah Peck isn't a picnic either... Some good deer there still....

Just to let you know..I wouldn't let my cousin take the shot..Deer still lives.

Yes, It is Piss Poor that we had to deal with this...

I would shoot the deer

If they are looking at you or me...It's VERY SAD to me that THEY aren't the ones that are SCARED!...Guess that is exactly why this kinda stuff is going on down there :(

shoot the deer. don't' matter if they have full auto ak47's. you know where they are, they don't know where you are. you probably have a rifle that will shoot 400 yards or so accurately, they don't. if they shoot at you, you kill them. simple as that. it's the law. somebody shoots at you, you kill them. then they don't shoot at you anymore. if you let fear of someone that ain't supposed to be here keep you from pursuing a perfectly legal enterprise you might oughta stay home. if they have the drop on ya or something, then you have to use some discretion. i don't see any reason here for that. blast the buck and if these stupid sob's wanna shoot it out, either get behind a rock or shoot back. but don't let mohows keep you from enjoying life, liberty and the pursuit of deer. Lark.

Even if it was a beautiful buck... its not worth the risk to shoot towards someone who is armed. If you would shot the buck and those illegals thought you were shooting at them you could of found yourself in a life or death situation. but in reality a ethnic hunter never shoots at or in front of a human, make sure no humans are in the direction of where your muzzle is being fired.. Always be safe and never shoot, no matter what person is in front of you... its Common sense!!!!! Im glad you didnt take that shot!

I think you pass the shot and slowly back out. Maybe with time the buck would give you another opourtinity. This very situation is the problem with putting in for southern units. I hunted 36A last year, and believe that this is what I would have done. Live to hunt another day.

Oh, you can bet that I would have gotten a good gps coordinate for the BP.

I cant tell for sure if one of the guys is armed or not, but I would shoot the deer and make sure to give plenty of time before I head over.

I would be careful they got more rights than you. Just poor migrants trying to make a living. Man that sucks.

Ain't that the truth

Spooky scenario.That is one tough pickle to be in. It makes me sick that we need to be concerned about this kinda stuff, but that's the way it is. Personally, I would have taken the shot. It sounds foolhardy but hunting is my therapy and passion. I accept the risk. I'm a young buck so I guess I'm a little more inclined to take some risks. This is my answer sitting at a computer though, I'm sure it's a bit different when you're the one behind the rifle. Much respect to all of you. <_<

Thanks for the understanding.

I believe as unfortunate as it was. That we made the right decision in handling this situation. I'm appreciative for the feedback given..I think the feedback given will benefit others if faced with a similar dilemma..

Believe me, I wanted to pretend these guys were not there and have him take the shot...So I took their picture instead..Been thinking about deleting them. <_<