shooterpar

big bulls, long shots and better friends

not much of a writer so i will make this short, sweet and to the point and then post the pictures. enjoy!

we scouted a bull for a few days before the season that we thought would go right at 350. we got to the ridge a few hours before daylight, making sure that we were the ones in the best spot to kill the bull. had a few guys walk up on us just before light, had a few words and then they moved just 100 yards down the ridge. we glassed the bull up bedded down right away and started getting set up. got the video camera rolling just when the guys down the ridge started shooting, shooting pretty much right past us. kinda creeped me out a little having someone shoot right past ya when they knew full well we sitting out on that point. anyway the bull finally got hit on the 9th or 10th shot from these guys, i figured they were about 750 yards. what a circus.

after we saw that the bull had been finally shot we started glassing again, i immediately found a small 5 and then tyler glassed up this bull and the race was on. 3 of us sprinted about 600 yards to the next point and got set up. found the bull in the same spot, got kyle on the camera rolling some film, tyler proned out on a rock with the bipod and sandbags and me behind the 15's. i took a range (894yards), looked at the PDA and told tyler how many minutes to dial (17.0), waited for him to move his head outta the way and tyler squeezed off one heck of a shot. first shot center punched the front shoulder takin out lungs and the second shot hit a little high but in the spine...bull down!!!!

my friend paul killed his very first bull ever a few days later, never seen anyone so happy!

had a great hunt with some of the best friends anyone could ask for! can't wait to do it all again next year.

post-1932-1291514990.jpg

bulls got hung up between a couple trees

post-1932-1291515021_thumb.jpg

tyler doing a little dancing in the creek bottom

post-1932-1291515010_thumb.jpg

good friends

Nice bull. Gotta love some people and ther hunting ethics or lack there of. Some people will do whatever it takes to get a animal. Including disregard for safety. Nice job recovering though!

yea it was pretty bad, at first we didnt actually know what they were shooting at so i ran down the ridge to talk to them for a second and they obviously didnt want to talk. i did stick around for 2 shots that went a little something like this...boom. spotter-"5 feet high, 2 feet right"...boom...spotter- "7 feet high, good windage"...shooter-"i need more bullets, they are in the pack somewhere"

thats the time i left and went back, it was a joke. we wanted to kill this bull while they were shooting at it but really didnt want to get into a pissing match with a couple darrels.

happy hunting

Wow that sucks! I know the feeling I glassed up a nice coues on Sunday @ about 1200yrds and had a guy shoot at it when I was coming to to a shooting position at 280yrds. He missed and the deer hualed butt.

It makes me sick when I hear stories like this. If you cant hit the animal on the first shot dont shoot. We see it all the time. Videos of people shooting, and shooting, and then bragging about the range. I dont care if you hit it at 1500yrds. If you dont hit it on the first shot it doesnt count. We all can sing lead until we are luckey enough to hit the dang thing. Dont think im agaist LRH, I shoot long all the time, I just wish people woundnt shoot out side of the comfort zone. If that 100, or 1000yrds that fine.

The problem is some people are perfectly comfortable taking 10 shots to hit something. I have a friend that shoots competitively and won't take a shot over 700 yds. He took 4th in nationals last year. So that should say something.

By the way, great bull. Doesn't look broken up either.

Jesus christ, one day we are sitting next to eachother at NAU cafeteria at 7am in the morning talking about hunting and criminal justice, the next moment your friends are shooting elk at 800 yards, what the heck has happened to us?!

Congrats on your buddy's success, great bull! Looking forward to more stories from you

Nice!!!

Couldn't help but to notice the mark on your face....is that just blood, or did the scope hit you (p.s. the scope has hit me one too many times and I had a mark just like that....)?

post-295-1291820206.jpg

Great job dealing with that situation, that would suck bad, I got upset just reading about it!!! Awesome job on the shot and for obviously doing the work before the hunt with the gun and the scouting, the success is proof of that! Congrats, JIM>

sharp eye there redman! its actually my buddy and yea he got wacked pretty good, it took us a few minutes to get the second shot off because of all the blood that he had running down his face! tied a hankie around his head to control the bleeding and then got wacked again on the second shot! gotta hand it to him though, after getting hit once with the big stick he still squeezed off a great second shot!

shoot straight!

ps i'll try and post a few more pictures from this years hunting adventures, muley buck and an alaskan caribou...

sharp eye there redman! its actually my buddy and yea he got wacked pretty good, it took us a few minutes to get the second shot off because of all the blood that he had running down his face! tied a hankie around his head to control the bleeding and then got wacked again on the second shot! gotta hand it to him though, after getting hit once with the big stick he still squeezed off a great second shot!

shoot straight!

ps i'll try and post a few more pictures from this years hunting adventures, muley buck and an alaskan caribou...

HA! I have had that mark before....the good old idiot mark! Like you said, he hung in there and put the smack down on that great bull! Good times!