STOMP442

Huntin Coues with a .250 Savage

I would like to start off by thanking my good Friend Paul Larson for getting me into a prime area and giving me the opportunity to kill a buck of a lifetime. I would also like to thank my big brother Trent for building one of the sweetest little rifles ever and giving me the tools I needed to make the shot when it counted. Thanks again for everything guys, I will remember this hunt the rest of my life.

The hunt started off like most of my other hunts have. I was behind on getting prepared and getting the gear all ready to go and stuck at work with too many things to do and not enough time to do them in. Little did I know that this hunt would prove to be the most exciting deer hunt I have ever been on.

Saturday morning we were up and glassing by sunup, hoping to catch some early rut activity and a big buck out in the open. Our hopes were realized in less than 30 minutes when Paul spotted a huge buck heading up the saddle two canyons away at 960 yards. The stalk was on! Trent and I made a game plan to get to the next ridge in hopes of getting a shot at this bruiser of a deer. As we pressed on the buck continued to feed his way up and over the saddle never to be seen again. With our adrenalin pumping and our spirits high we continued to hunt the area in hopes of finding another big buck to set our sights on. Saturday passed with not much else excitement and we found ourselves back at camp reminiscing about that big one that got away and laying out plans for the next day’s hunt.

Sunday morning began much like Saturdays did; we went to the same glassing position and 30 minutes in spotted another toad of buck not 100 yards from where we spotted the first one the day before. This time we knew we had to make it count, he was not getting away. We grabbed our gear and hustled over the next ridge hoping to get a shot off at this buck before he disappeared as well. We sneak our way up and over the ridge and nestle in under some oak trees hoping this buck was still where we left him. After glassing for more than an hour it had seemed that this buck as well had slipped though our fingers. We made the decision that we were not giving up on this buck, we were going to wait there the rest of the day if we had to. Turns out we only needed to wait about another 15 minutes when like magic he suddenly appeared again working his way down hill toward us. Trent ranged him at 662 yards, called the wind and gave me the green light. My first shot hit him in the front left shoulder ripping through him and exiting the rear leg almost taking it completely off. I hear Trent yell “you drilled him! Put another one in him.” The deer moved in under an oak tree and stood broadside giving me a perfect shot. The next bullet went through both shoulders and somehow the deer stayed on his feet and moved to his right to another small oak tree where I finished him off with another shot through the neck. I couldn’t believe how tough this deer was, I still do not understand how he survived the first shot let alone the second one but it all worked out in the end. By the time it was all over I could barely stand up I was so excited, all I could do was stand there shaking with a big smile on my face, breathing like I had just ran a marathon. Paul and Trent came over and gave me a big hug, a hand shake and congratulations.

After I had calmed down and regained my composure we left to go retrieve my deer. I knew after looking at him through the scope that he was a nice buck but what I found laying under that oak tree surprised us all. He gross scores 111 5/8” has nice mass all the way out and lots of character with the down turned tip on the main beam. I could not be happier. The .250-3000 savage shooting a 115 grain Berger bullet performed like a dream and packed one heck of a punch. Thanks again to Paul for having great eyes and being so charitable to let me shoot this great buck and getting us into an awesome hunting area. Thanks to Trent for building such a sweet rifle and making me a believer in the capabilities of this old little cartridge. I couldn’t have done it without you guys, maybe next year we can go after the big one that got away.

Deer-Location2.jpgtrentphonepic1a.jpg

me-big-buck.jpg

me-paul-big-buck.jpg

me-trent-big-buck-2.jpg

Great buck with a great gun! Congrats!

Very nice!!

I killed my first Coues buck with a .250 Savage, lever action original which I still own. He was not even close to your great buck.

Great Deer!!!

Congratulations on a great buck! Thank you for taking the time to share your story and success with us.

Awesome buck!! Being from 30 A I'm sure you worked for it. The mountains there can be very unforgiving. Congrats again.