buglethemin

2011 Antelope (Hopi)Venting

:angry: Ok now I think this is BS, we are all aware of last years Hopi Hunts, where G&F allocated a few tags to put aside for antelope and elk. For Elk I dont have much of a problem with, but for Antelope this just gets my blood boiling. I downloaded last years draw results and success rate for the 2010 antelope hunts. For the 3 tags they issued to the Hopis in 4A only 6 applied. Wouldnt we all love that success rate for getting an antelope tag that we have been waiting a decade or more to draw. 5A had 4 tags for Hopi, and only 4 applied, 100 % draw rate. WOW. I hope AZGFD realizes that many of us have been waiting 15-19 years for an antelope tag. Way to go AZGFD, keep upsetting us more, remember where majority of your revenue comes from "US". Just venting, I have 16 bonus points for antelope, and still cant get drawn. If i was a Hopi it would only take me a year or two to be drawn. Another note, it only costs the Hopi 85 dollars for this tag. If you were to apply for a Hunt on the San Carlos, $4000. I love this system. :huh:

i hunt the 4a area a lot and im not sure but i think that Hopi tag deal was some kinda agreement to keep the Hopi owned lands open for us to hunt. If they were to shut that off to us that basically closes all of the good antelope hunting in 4a so it could be worse

Your probably right, but giving more than 20% of the tags for those units where only 4-6 people apply. Still is not right, frustrating waiting this long.

You know what is really frustrating? Seeing how many antelope tags the G&F is giving out.

50 rifle buck tags in 19B. Are you kidding me?

You know what is really frustrating? Seeing how many antelope tags the G&F is giving out.

+1 a lot of these units are going to get hit hard with so many rifle tags.

The Hopi tags look a lot like landowner tags in some other states, I just hope we don't cross that line that would allow them to be sold to the highest bidder.

I thought anyone could put in for those tags or was that just last year? Thats why the draw odds were so high, no one knew it was open to all.

I think G&F should have guidelines for antelope like the Navajo. Once a person is drawn, that person has to wait 3 years before applying again. It increases the odds and a person wont have to wait 14-19 years to get drawn.

I think G&F should have guidelines for antelope like the Navajo. Once a person is drawn, that person has to wait 3 years before applying again. It increases the odds and a person wont have to wait 14-19 years to get drawn.

+1 i think they should do that for elk also

And on any big game taken, the survey must be filled out and sent in or the hunter becomes ineligible to hunt the following season. G&F could seriously use this as well.

agreed, Utah does that for the premium trophy units, if drawn for the trophy elk or deer unit a resident will have to wait 5 yrs before he can apply for a trophy unit. They can apply for the non trophy areas or over the counter tags within that time. I wouldnt mind that here for antelope, early archery/rifle elk, and kiabab/strip mule deer. But then again G&F will loose out on money so they wont do that.

And on any big game taken, the survey must be filled out and sent in or the hunter becomes ineligible to hunt the following season. G&F could seriously use this as well.

Absolutely!! Is there a way we can make recommendations for this? Seriously! Or has it been done and shot down and if so why?? Especially the part about waiting or being eligible after five years or whatever after being drawn for a trophy or high demand hunt.

Off G&F web site for 19B antelpoe.

"This unit's pronghorn population shows the influences of prolonged dry conditions. The severe droughts of 1996, 2002 and 2007 resulted in virtually no fawn survival, thus no adults in those age classes. Although total numbers have been reduced, a healthy buck surplus exists for an enjoyable hunt. General hunt success is typically between 85-90 percent."

What are they going to do if we have more than one year of droughts in a row? Kill every buck?

The problem with putting a waiting period on successful applicants, say five years, is that there are so few permits and so many applicants that you are not really improving your odds by that much especially on early rifle bull and antelope hunts, and most good archery hunts. Example: unit 9 early rifle elk; 25 tags available and 3731 applicants put in for it. After 5 years you have only removed 125 applicants from the 3731, and usually every year more applicants apply. How much have you really gained? That is the problem with a waiting period in AZ, too many people applying for a very limited amount of tags, you won't improve your odds enough to make a difference. This is how I see it.

Brian