Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

Desert Muzzleloader Buck!

I finally got drawn for the lower desert December muzzleloader hunt this year. I did not get to scout as much as I would have liked because my hunting buddy got drawn for sheep and I was helping him with that in all my spare time. I finally got out to look around the first of December and found a few bucks that had potential. On opening day I glassed up a group of deer that had a pretty good buck in it and got out in front of them. They walked by at 100 yards and the biggest buck was a 4X4 that was just a little to young. So I passed on him. I had a few other ecounters but nothing I wanted to put my tag on. I decided I was going to go out this last weekend on Saturday and hit it hard in a place I Bow hunt every year. Historically I have always seen some really good bucks in this area so Saturday morning I got up on my glassing point and started glassing. My buddy Mark was glassing from another vantage point about a mile away. After about 2 hours of not seeing anything I called Mark on the radio and told him to come pick me up in 15 minutes and we would move locations. As soon as I put the radio down I glassed up a buck making his way across the desert about a mile and a half away. I marked where he was with a couple cactus and went to change from my 15's to my spotting scope. I got my spotting scope up and he was gone. I could not believe it. I took my eye off for 1 minute and like usual he vanishes. I told Mark where I had last seen him and he began to look for him as well. Luck was on our side because Mark was able to glass him up bedded underneath a palo verde tree right where I had last seen him. Now the stalk was on. We knew he was a shooter but thats about it. It was 9:00 am when I started the stalk about a mile away. I was about 300 yards from him by 10am. After a couple of conversations over the radio I finally figured out which tree he was under and began the last 220 yards of the stalk. At 12:15pm I was 80 yards from the buck and all I could see was the top of the bucks antlers. It was cool because twice two different cars drove by on a road about a 1/2 mile away and each time the car would approach he would lay his head and antlers down so you couldn't see anything until they had passed and then he would pick his head back up.

I was 80 yards and plenty close so I decided to try and get him to stand up because the wind was changing direction and I knew if he saw or smelled me he would bolt out of there. After throwing 2 rocks and making some grunting noises he hadn't moved at all. All I could still see was the tops of his antlers. Then all the sudden I felt the wind hit my back and about 5 seconds later he blew out of his bed like a lazer. I had the gun up on the tripod and Instinctively put the crosshairs where they needed to be and let all that smoke out the barrel.When that bullet hit it was the loudest smack I think I have ever heard. It was right on the money and he only ran a couple hundred yards and expired. I am really proud of this buck. He scores right at 174" and has a lot of character. My buddy Mark got to watch the whole thing in the spotting scope and he was as pumped as I was. It was an awesome way to end an awesome hunt. Hope you enjoy the pics. Thanks.

post-539-1292992698_thumb.jpg

post-539-1292992909_thumb.jpg

post-539-1292993419_thumb.jpg

congrats NIce buck, and always nice when a plan comes together after a long stock. i'de of let teh smoke out as well! no hesitation. nice job

tommy

Thanks Tommy. I can't wait to get it back from you and get him on the wall. I have no doubt you are going to make him look awesome.

Matt, That is a great buck. I know how hard you work to prepare for a hunt, and you deserve that trophy. Congratulations

Congrats on a great buck! Must have been really cool to watch him from 80 yards with the cars and what not. Awesome story.

Way to go Matthew! Dude you are one deer killing machine!

Congratulations on a great buck!

Nick

That's a Slammer !

He definately has character ! B)

Isn't it great the way instinct takes over on a pressure shot like that ?? :D

Thanks guys for all the nice comments. I appreciate them very much. That hunt was such a great hunt I hope to god I get drawn again someday soon. Thanks again.