Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

New to muzzleloading

I have a few questions about muzzleloading, trying to get into something new as my shoulder is screwed up for archery so im going to take awhile off. I found a remington 700 ml at my local gun shop for 200 dollars and was wondering if that was a good deal. Also what bullets and powder would i be looking at and what other items would i need. Obviously im a total greenhorn to muzzeloading so i need lots of assistance. Thanks Daniel

was already leaning towards barnes because i know what they do in our rifles casey just not sure on powders and such. What is better loose powder or pellets.

here's one write -up

http://www.chuckhawks.com/remington700MLS.htm

powder or pellets depends on the gun - the bullet and then the shooter-

read as much as you can - t/c makes some of the best with cva and traditions closing the gap each yr. Knight has always made great guns but are no longer in business '- myself i'd pass on the 700ml-

Gary

i got a new cva buckhorn - 3x9 scope- at range after 2 shots sighting in 3 shot clover leaf holes at 50 yrds. - less than 2 in at 100 but i'm sure its me and not the gun! 295 powerbelts and 2 - 777 -50 gr pellets . sighted in 4 in high at 50 so its 5 in low at 200 - good to go! can always go up to 150 grs if needed

loose. with pellets you are stuck with 30 or 50gr at a time. loose you can try different charges to see what the rifle will like. its amazing how much work a MZ needs to find what the rifle likes. thats were all the fun is at.

:ph34r:

I am a big fan of Remington 700 rifles so of course I wanted a 700 ML. I heard so much negative feed back about them that I decided against purchasing one.

I went with Austin and Halleck, I have both an in-line and a traditional. I enjoy the concept of "traditional" hunting but when it is time to kill something, I use the in-line with 100 grains of 777 pellets, Hornady XTP bullets with a sabot and a Leupold 3x9 scope. It works for me...

i shot a lotta stuff with a muzzleloader in the past. i always really liked the XTP's too. .44 in a .50 and .45's in a 54. i always had better luck with ff blackpowder. pyrodex always seemed susceptable to hang fires. but i did some shooting a couple years ago with the pellets and 209 shotgun primers, and it worked real well. but the XTP's are a really good choice for bullets. killed a lotta bucks and bulls with em. killed a bunch with maxi-balls too, before they figgerd out all this sabot stuff. but they are real range limited. but i did shoot a 700 a bunch and it seemed to be really good. real accurate, after i figgerd it out. Lark.

I am shooting the .50 cal T/C Encore and had very good luck with it. I am shooting Buckhorn Powder and 250 Gr Precision Rifle Sabots. At 200 yds I am getting a 4" group.

I have a CVA and Knight .54 cal inlines but this gun shoots much better than both of them.

I agree with Casey on the Buckhorn 209 and Barnes bullets. I really got into muzzle loading last year when I drew the December tag. I probably shot 50 rounds through my gun before the hunt started. One thing you might try is to find the charge that your gun likes and then weigh each one for your upcoming hunt. I found some small plastic bolt containers at Harbor Frieght that worked great for holding each charge. One other item I found to really help me was the SpinJag. This made seating the bullet much easier and helped with accuracy. Make sure you get the starter as well. I even lapped the barrel on my rifle and then heated it up in my barbecue and coated the inside of the barrel with a teflon based lube and let it cool on its own. This helped with seating the bullet and also increased my muzzle velocity. My gun is the Encore, but take some time and fool around with yours until it is accurate for you. I was shooting aluminum cans with mine last year at 200 yards and could easily put it into a 4in circle at 300 yards. Hope this helps you out. David

http://www.spinjag.com/index.php

My T/C Triumph Bone Collector has the famous tight T/C bore. I solved the problem completely with Harvester Muzzle Loading's Crush Rib high pressure sabots. They even offer one designed for boat tail bullets like the Barnes. I shoot the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold ballistic tip bullets and Barnes bullets with these sabots on top of B209. Accuracy is excellent, they seal properly and load easily.