coueschaser3

tag numbers?

Just got my pig tag and noticed something strange.....how is it possible to get tag #'s 367 and 368 for a hunt that is listed as 350 tags?

Wrong Unit?? Or wrong hunt Archery,Ham or Gen?

Nope. Just picked it up straight from g&f as a leftover.19a general. Hunt 5006.

Game and Fish is LOST!!!! They are good intentioned people, but when it comes to issuing tags they have no clue. My first choice for my son and I for Javalina was general 33, but we were issued tags for 34A which was our second choice. The problem is that our first choice General 33, still had 300+ left over tags. I checked the copy I made of my application, and sure enough I did it right. So I asked G&F what in the world was going on? The lady on the phone told me that "next year put the same hunt number for your first and second choice and then you might get drawn for it." What??? I have talked to two other people that this happened to as well.

Game and Fish is LOST!!!! They are good intentioned people, but when it comes to issuing tags they have no clue. My first choice for my son and I for Javalina was general 33, but we were issued tags for 34A which was our second choice. The problem is that our first choice General 33, still had 300+ left over tags. I checked the copy I made of my application, and sure enough I did it right. So I asked G&F what in the world was going on? The lady on the phone told me that "next year put the same hunt number for your first and second choice and then you might get drawn for it." What??? I have talked to two other people that this happened to as well.

Hahaha! Are you kidding??? Unreal....

You were drawn in the bonus points round and your first choice hunt was already filled.

Yes, this is correct.

You were drawn in the bonus points round and your first choice hunt was already filled.

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BigGameDrawingProcess.shtml

I wasn't the brightest kid in school so someone might have to explain this one to me. How is someone drawn in the bonus point round for tag #'s that are well over the allotted amount when they picked them up as a leftover? I understand that even when applying for leftovers, there must be an application filled out just like the normal draw. But I can't wrap my head around someone drawing tags #367 and 368 when there are only 350 set aside for that hunt....regardless of which draw you were successful in. I'm seriously not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand it better. Thanks...

http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BigGameDrawingProcess.shtml

I wasn't the brightest kid in school so someone might have to explain this one to me. How is someone drawn in the bonus point round for tag #'s that are well over the allotted amount when they picked them up as a leftover? I understand that even when applying for leftovers, there must be an application filled out just like the normal draw. But I can't wrap my head around someone drawing tags #367 and 368 when there are only 350 set aside for that hunt....regardless of which draw you were successful in. I'm seriously not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand it better. Thanks...

I dont understand it either. I just guess thats the way the department runs things in this state.

sorry I was responding to azlance's post. As far as the original poster coueschaser he could call a region office and they would tell him what he needs to know.

I do know people, however, who have gotten tags beyond the allotted amount because there was a screw up by the G&F on their application/draw. Doesn't sound like this was the case, though.

I don't understand either, he said there were 300 tags leftover for his first choice. How could his first choice be filled when there are that many leftovers?

Likely that in the 20% bonus pass, the 20% of the permits for his first choice had been issued to those with more BP, but he had enough BP to draw his 2nd choice in the 20% pass. By "filled", the reference was likely that all of the 20% bonus pass permits were issued, and not the regular 1-2 pass.

This situation has happened before a few years ago, the hunter petitioned the commission for the first choice permit as there were leftovers for that deer hunt. He was issued a first choice permit. The department said they were going manually to look for those that drew 2nd choice but there were 1st choice leftovers. Evidently the computer draw program has not beem modified.

One way to prevent this if it is a problem for a person is to put the same hunt choice down for 1st and 2nd, and then others for 3, 4, 5.

i could see a g&f screw up if i pulled it on the draw or a mail in leftover. Situation was there were 6 left listed on the website for the hunt i wanted. I called to double check and they said there were now two left. Next day i was there when they opened and we got the "last" two in person. As soon as i saw my tag number i caught it. Pulled out regs and double checked and i was right. So at least 18 more tags than listed in the regs. Now i dont see an issue with this for a typical hunt. But what about a dec wt tag or strip muley or early bull tag? I helped in 21 for elk this year and ill say for a supposed 12 tags there were a heck of alot of hunters. In my opinion it just goes to show we cant trust g&f with anything. Whats it matter how many tags they say are available if they are gonna give out more....