Kevin

2011 New Mexico Mule deer

I hadn't hunted the January hunt in several years, simply to be honest; I just don't enjoy freezing my tail off anymore. However, it was my hunting partners turn this year to pick our hunt choices and due to being the parent he is, only could fit the January hunts into his families schedule (he has his priorities straight!).

As the hunt approached, I found myself dealing with very little time to practice with my recurve due to taking on a different role at work. Increased workload, out of state travel, etc had just not allowed me the time it takes for me to feel confident. To top it off, I developed a severe case of target panic about the first of December. I went from mildly proficient and low confidence to looking for arrows in the orchard behind my target and knew I wouldn't hunt with my Widow. I decided my camera would be my weapon of choice.

My brother, BowDoctor, would have none of it. He offered up his sons wheeled contraption, a PSE Dream Season. Although I’d shot and hunted with a compound for many years, I'd never even had a release on my hand until he set me up. With all the new fangled stuff, I still had target panic. However, he had a fix for that he said.

Now, if you've ever dealt with target panic you know it usually isn't an overnight fix. He handed me a SCAT JS caliper release that works backward to most caliper releases apparently. You hold the trigger down while drawing and release the trigger to shoot. Thing is, you can adjust it from 0-6 seconds from the time you release the trigger until the actual release of the string. It makes you focus on the target and maintain arm and back tension that is so important to a clean release. Believe me; if you start to drop your arm or creep on the release it will get your attention! I highly recommend it for a training tool; just make sure your dental insurance is good and up to date! I alternated between the SCAT JS and the regular caliper release for the next 3 weeks while shooting and by the time the season rolled around felt confident at short range. Now I know the fact that I completely changed bows, style etc. will rub some of you the wrong way. However, I’ve shot a bow, of some sort, for over 30 years and can honestly say I felt confident in both my ability with the release and compound as well as my decision making if a shot presented itself. I’ve passed up a lot of shots over the years and knew I would again if things weren’t right at the moment of truth.

I missed the first 4 days of the season due to other commitments and it turned out to be a good thing, although not being hunting was killing me. It was the first day of a deer hunt I’d ever missed, but it allowed me to practice several times a day since I was already on vacation and I missed the biggest part of the snowstorm that hit southern NM just before the hunt started. My partner hunted daily and was into several good bucks every day so when I arrived he had a good plan. My first day started with a bang! A mile from the truck and almost to our glassing spot a small fork horn presented himself at 40 yards. Too small for Boone and out of my range. In total we saw 7 bucks that day, two that were really good ones but were in an area with 5” of crusted over snow that we couldn’t stalk in. It was a wonderful day glassing and watching the rut in full swing.

Day two started out even quicker than day one. Another small buck stood up 25 yards from me as we were walking in. About my max distance, but quartered towards me. I was able to draw and he turned, but “it” just wasn’t there. I let him go. An hour later we witnessed the rut in a way I’ve never seen. Six mature bucks and a couple of small ones with four does that apparently just weren’t quite in the mood. For an hour and a half we watched as the small bucks pestered the does and the big buck chased them off, at a mere 70 yards. 70 yards of open snow covered ground, frozen stiff by 0 degree temps and absolutely no way to close in on so many eyes. As we wondered why the bigger bucks really showed no interest in the does, a buck close to 180” came into view. Within minutes he had bred a doe and began running the other bucks off. I watched where the other bucks went and tried to move in on them with no luck. However, I knew where they went and that I hadn’t spooked them.

Day three found two trucks in the area we had been parking so we drove to another area a few miles up the road. We hiked in to another glassing spot and found no deer. Boone decided to hunt back to the truck and pick me up at our original parking spot at dark. I still hunted for the rest of the morning and eventually wound up in the area I’d watched the bucks from the day before bed. The wind was blowing stiffly in my face and I very slowly wound my way around patches of snow and trees.

At 30 yards a doe materialized, then several more. They knew something was up but hadn’t figured me out yet. Then, one of the mature bucks from the day before came in sight. I had already nocked an arrow but was fumbling miserably with the string loop and the release. The deer began moving towards me, helping to settle my nerves ;) . The buck passed a mahogany bush and I got drawn. Close enough, broad side and no knowledge of my presence—the shot was off. The buck bounded away from the does and I knelt down to prevent myself from falling down. I replayed the shot through my head knowing I hit higher than I’d intended, but how much I didn’t know. After 30 minutes I crept to the arrow only to find it clean as a whistle! No blood what so ever was visible. I was sure I’d hit the buck! I got in my pack and got the spray bottle of peroxide I use for such occasions out only to find it frozen solid! Dang January hunts! I smelled the arrow, nothing. I followed the tracks to where the buck was when I shot and found a small amount of hair on the snow—hair still attached to skin. The hair was long and dark and I knew I’d skipped it off his back. I began tracking the buck to double check that I’d not drawn blood when I heard a grunt from the direction I’d been going. I knelt down to see under the trees and at 50 yards the buck was nose on the ground coming my way. He had lost his does and was trying to find them again. I double checked with my binoculars that the kicker was there, yes same buck, still coming my way. I hooked up and drew while he went behind a juniper. Still grunting he turned straight to me at what I guessed 40 yards and kept coming. As he rounded another bush he turned broad side, I settled the pin and watched as the arrow knocked him off his feet. He bolted after regaining his feet only to plow through a tree, crashing off the side of the hill.

Composure completely gone, I turned on my GPS and phone. I was sure of the hit this time and after a few minutes called Boone to let him know I’d be a while. The deer was somewhere between me and the truck and I wanted him not to come in for fear of spooking the deer. A half our later, I picked up a pink, frothy blood soaked arrow and began the trail. It was what mortally wounded animals do, straight line, easy to follow and short. My buck lay still and in a sunlit patch of snow, just like a pot of gold!

I texted Boone a picture and location. While waiting for his arrival, I reflected on what had transpired. Without the encouragement of Boone and my brother I would have burned this tag, something I abhor anyone doing. Without the graciousness of my nephew loaning me his equipment, my camera would have been used more and I undoubtedly would still have enjoyed my time afield with Boone. Without my brothers professional coaching I couldn’t have done it. Without the most understanding and wonderful wife and daughters, I couldn’t spend the time I do in the field. Without a rut crazed buck, ignoring his safety for a once a year fling, I’d of not drawn on another buck this year. It’s just not in me to shoot another deer, even if the wound wasn’t fatal. I regret not being more prepared and practiced, something else I abhor. I will commit myself, I promise that. As Boone put it, "all's well that ends well". I guess.

Thanks to a friend of Boones training for the Bataan Death March Commemorative marathon and his willingness to help out, we packed my buck the 2 miles to the truck in one trip. David B, you’re the man!

Now for what you've all been waiting for:

post-137-1294856514_thumb.jpg

post-137-1294856591_thumb.jpg

Good job man!! Great story and glad things turned out well! I too love shooting my Widown, but there are times when the wheels and cables are called for!

How's Boones hunt goin?

Jeff

Thanks everyone. Jeff, Boone killed a little buck Sunday morning, he's on call this week so Sunday was it for him.

Kevin

Holly crap, that is a brute of a buck. Congrats. :)

TJ

Wow what a great story Kevin!! What a rush I'm sure that was! It's a beautiful buck and one well deserved! Glad you were able to put it all together!! Congratulations!!!

p.s he'll look good hanging on your barn. ;)