azcouesandelk

San Carlos Part 2

Well part 2 is not as elaborate as part 1 but it sure was fun.

My work schedule had changed so I had Tuesday and Wednesday off. My buddy Randy also had the same days off and said that he would go along for the ride and help me out, which I can't thank him enough for! Waking up at 3:30 Tuesday morning I loaded all my gear in the truck and went to pick Randy up for our drive. We left Randy's house around 4:30 and hit the road. We stopped and got Randy his permits for the rez and headed out in hopes of finding a true San Carlos monster. We got to the point we wanted to glass from right at first light and setup. We weren't glassing 15 minutes when Randy found a good buck. After looking him over we determined he was 90 class 3 point and decided to keep on looking. We continued glassing for the next hour turning up some does and little bucks when I glassed up a good buck about a mile out. I got the spotter him and saw tall tines and a wide frame. I let Randy check him out and the buck moved out of view for us. At this point I am excited thinking we had found a buck over the 100 mark. We loaded up and to go reloacte the buck. After an hour hike we popped up over the ridge and I saw a deer on the hillside. Randy got a look at the buck with his 10's and said it was him. I took a quick look through my 15's to make sure also and saw the tall tines. I then setup my gun and settled in for the shot and asked for a range. I dialed my turret for 315 yards and took some deep breathes. The crosshairs were right on the bottom of his chest as I attempted to press down on the pack to bring the back of the gun down when I touched off the trigger! the buck moved about 10 yards to our right. This time I got all settled in with the crosshairs dead on him. I squoze the trigger and the buck just dropped in his tracks. We loaded up and circled around to the buck and saw that he was not what we thought, but the buck is an absolutly gourous animal! I cant thank everbody that helped out enough Randy, Jesse, my dad, Bryan and I cannot thank Matthew enough times!

Here is the area I shot him out of

shotlocation.jpg

Setting up for the shot

settingforshot.jpg

The buck

buck1.jpg

buck2.jpg

Randy and I with the buck

buck3.jpg

The packout

packout.jpg

Hope you all enjoy it!

I was pig hunting this weekend, so I did not take part in the wild weekend at Toby Keith's that resulted in a 700 dollar tab. Thank God! We had a lot of fun on this short lived hunting trip and I'm glad I went. I was debating whether or not to go, but when Christian said he'd bring a bucket of chicken and coors light I was in 100%. Ha Ha!

I've been waiting for the story and you didn't let me down. Congratulations on a nice buck and thanks for sharing and taking us along. :)

TJ

Congrats Christian on your buck. Beautiful looking animal. You guys put some awesome bucks on the ground in the last 2 weeks on the Res. Bet your hooked for life now on that tag.Congrats again buddy.