Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

boiled peanuts?

While down here in alabama deer hunting, I am enjoying southern food. One of those is boiled peanuts. The peanuts are boiled in the shell and some have flavoring added like this cajun spice one. We dumped the contents of the can into a sauce pan and heated it up before eating. Very good!

post-1-1295065040_thumb.jpg

From what I understand this is a popular snack in the Phillipines. The ones I had were just boiled in saltwater, no cajun spice. They were OK, I prefer raw peanuts myself.

One of the OR scrub techs had those a few months ago(she is from New Orleans) DISGUSTING, I could not get them out of my mouth fast enough, it is a crime to do that to a Peanut!!!

Lived there for two years going to college.....Some of the best two years of my life playin' ball and meetin some good ol' folks down there. Made some of the best friends one could ever ask for.

I saw boiled peanuts all over but never got to try them. Wish I would've though. I do know the crawfish sure did taste good down there....mmmmmm. Love it! ;)

I hope your hunts are going well Amanda... I never knew they "professionaly" packaged Goobers, very cool, I have only had them from like street-venders, boiled in saltwater... Yummm...

Hi Amanda. Yes, I've had them. My son-in-law has a source for raw peanuts and every year he boils them. (He is from the northeast, go figure.) I really don't care for hot sauce (I'm an Arizona native, go figure) or for soggy, warm peanuts. Give me a can of Planter's heavily salted, dry and crunchy peanuts every time.

Bill Quimby

I tried some out this last year from a co-worker that was from the south. Not the best tastin nut! Didn't care much for them.

I like them! I usually boil a couple of batches each year. Fresh boiled are so much better than the canned variety.

Must be an acquired taste. Like the posts here show, there seem to be more folks that dislike them than like them. My 6 year old daughter and I are the only ones in our family that enjoy the boiled goobers.

Boiled peanuts are awesome!!!!! The only time I had them, I was at an outdoor music festival/concert in Moab. Amoungst the food vendors, there was a guy with a HUGE pot of boiled peanuts! He was boiling them and selling them hot & fresh! He served them in a cup, that was almost like soup/broth. They were VERY good!!!

Never had the canned variety......

S.

:)

I never have thought of boiling them. My wife's uncle would put dry roasted peanuts in his bottle of Coke. I prefer the chocolate covered ones myself.