tjhunt2

A day on Saguaro Lake / pics

After purchasing my duck stamps on friday I was biting at the bit to take out Lexie on her first duck hunt when Peg decided we needed to go fishing. So yesterday I loaded up the gang. Peg, Lexie, Missie, and myself were on the lake by noon and the fishing was slower than slow. I constantly was checking out the back of coves with my binos for ducks. Peg and I was enjoying the day even though we hadn't boated a fish when she yells out I got one. After netting her bass she says "you owe me 2 bucks. One for the first and one for the biggest". Never fails! :rolleyes: We were about to call it a day when two mallards flew and landed along the shore ahead of us. Now I was getting excited since I hadn't shot a duck in over 20yrs. I just wanted Lexie to have the opportunity to retrieve a duck. I had Peg drop me off 200yrds down the shore and I hiked up over the hillside and thru the wait-a-minute bushes until I was inline with the birds. They must have heard me and started out in the lake and I wasn't near as I wanted to be but it was now or never. Probably 50yrds but I was shooting down at them so I let the steel shot fly. I hit the female first and then swing on the male as he starts up in the air and miss. I shoot again and down he falls. After fighting my way thru the mesquite and landing in the water over my shoes I motion Peg to bring the boat over. I get Lexie out and show her the birds and she is in the water and swimming out to the first mallard with me as proud of her as can be when that emotion went from proud to what the hick. She smelt the bird and swam back without it. She made another swim to the other and did the same. I guess she figured they didn't smell like doves and were to big for anything she has been trained on. Of course I was disappointed but I had expected way to much from Lexie and I know I have alot more training to do. What a way to finish the day off and was back home in time to enjoy a beer and some football.

post-1903-1295201792_thumb.jpg

Lexie before we lift for the lake. She brings these in the house everyday. My pile is going down quick.

post-1903-1295201807_thumb.jpg

Got this eagle just before it flew off.

post-1903-1295201827_thumb.jpg

Lexie's not sure what to think of these mallards

post-1903-1295201841_thumb.jpg

Lexie and I. I will use these for training.

post-1903-1295201850_thumb.jpg

Peg and her 3lb bass that cost me $2

Looks like an awesome day on the water! Great pictures too!

Brian

Thanks guys. Tomorrow will have me on Canyon Lake with my Dad and can't remember when the last time I fished that lake. Probably over 20 years would be a good guess. I'll keep you posted how it went. Hopefully I'll get some photoes of some sheep. :)

TJ

Good luck TJ. If you happen to hear anything about Apache let me know if you would. As soon as I get hunting out of my system my dad and I are going to start to hit the lakes hard. Have fun and be safe.

Brian

I went out last week or so with my dog to Saguaro lake. We were fishing and 'coon' hunting. She did pretty good!

coonsazstyle.jpg

She's a good dog for not getting on them mallards....LOL!!! Sh** ducks anyway. You could put a bowl of water in the middle of I-10 and they'd land on it. Bwaaahahaha! But a duck is a duck. Get her on some wigeons, teals and buffle head, Now them are the "Good" ducks! Nice fish too!