Sign in to follow this  
yotebuster

AZ Archery Desert Double

I was blessed to have last weekend turn out to be a pretty good one for me! Saturday found me out checking some new country out, with bow, shotgun, and AR all in tow in case I happened upon an opportunity! Well I spotted a herd of muleys from the truck about a half mile out, a quick look indicated a small buck running them so I couldn't resist it.

post-2932-1295724062_thumb.jpg

I made a quick stalk and found myself right in the middle of them, got within 30 yards and made a so so shot due to him jumping the string. It was a little far back but must've found an artery in the liver because he went down after only 50yards. I put another one through his shoulder and he was done. It's my first desert muley, and first muley with a bow! I'm a little bummed to be done in AZ for the year, but now I can concentrate on elk next fall (confidence going into the draw is a good thing right?!?).

post-2932-1295724115_thumb.jpg

post-2932-1295724217_thumb.jpg

I hunted all day sunday for Javelina, trying to put my tag on one of these things has eluded me for the past two winters. Nada on sunday, but fortunately I had monday off! I bumped into this lone pig at around 9am and sent a Rage through her (turned out to be a good sized sow). Just got done enjoying an omelette full of javelina breakfast sausage, and whoever says these things aren't good to eat doesn't know what they're missing. Also, I looked it up for my girlfriend, they are NOT rodents, but in the same lineage as hippos and pigs, a LOONG ways from rodents. Not that I care, I like rabbit which is a rodent!! I gotta thank ruthunter and desertbucks for there advice on how to get out in the desert and get after stuff! I owe you guys big time! Anyhow, it was a good weekend, time to buy some new arrows and start getting ready for that bull elk tag!!!

post-2932-1295724259_thumb.jpg

post-2932-1295724294_thumb.jpg

I would call that a great weekend and I wouldnt call that buck small. Congrats.

+1

Congrats on a great buck and what looks to be a pretty big sow! I agree with you that javelina are defintely good eating if you do it right. I always turn the whole thing into chorizo.

-Tracy

That's a great buck!! and a Pig to boot. Heck of a weekend for ya!! Congrats!