Sign in to follow this  
flyphsr

Bryan's 1st big game kill 10 years with his bow

When it came time to put in for javelina I asked my son if he was ready to hunt, he said that he was, but that he did not want to put in for a junior or the general hunt. He wanted to go archery with my friends and me. At first I wanted him to use a rifle. I thought he would have a better chance at tagging one, but he was sure that he wanted to use his new bow, so I put him in on our tag. After we received our tags we registered for his hunter Ed class. My main concern was at 10 could he pull the 40 lb draw weight needed to take a javelina. We practiced and continued to raise the pounds on his bow right up till the hunt; he was shooting straight and could pull 40 lbs. The first weekend came and we were off. All I could think about was getting him a shot but we could not locate any pigs. We saw some deer and had unsuccessful stocks. Bryan was doing well walking up and down the desert mountains and dealing with the cold mornings and warm afternoons. The second weekend came and we were back at it still the same result, no pigs. But Bryan was not getting discouraged, despite getting a knot the size of a golf ball between his eyes from his binoculars, a bee sting, and falling in to a cactus, he still wanted to go for the last weekend. My friend had gotten his javelina on the second weekend but came along just to help. As the morning started off we located some deer but they were too far away to tell if any were bucks so we decided to get in the Rhino and see if we could get a better look at them. We went down this old road as far as we could and could only see one of the deer; we walked out to a point thinking we would be able to see in the cut they were in when we spooked about ten javelina out. They ran down the mountain and up the other side and stopped about 80 yards from the top. My friend stayed where he could see them and we went after them down a steep hill and up an even steeper one we were on top and circled around so we were right above them. As we started down my friend was pointing where to go I had left my radio behind. We could hear them moving around but could not see them when my friend was waving his arms telling me they were moving we ridged the mountain only to see the pigs at the bottom and going up the other side. So down and up we went, my friend had radioed his uncle to tell him we had some pigs and we ran into him on top he had a radio so I was able to talk to my friend and asked what happened to the other pigs only 4 ran out, he said “o ya let me look". While waiting we took time to get a drink and unload some clothes, after about 40 min the radio came on, "I found them they are in the same spot under a tree". Back down and up again put us back in our original spot, we moved slowly and came to a tree where my friend said we would be able to see them. From the tree we could see one pig, I ranged him at 37 yards and told Bryan to shoot, he shot and missed, the pig took off and I shot. The shot was off and hit him in the hip I could tell he was hurt and I knew my friend could see were he went. I turned to Bryan and asked what happened he was holding his arm the string had hit his forearm. At that time a pig came out of the bush and stood in the same spot as the first one, shoot him I said and he drew back and made a perfect heart shot. The javelina jumped and took off, we could see the blood coming out and it was a complete pass through, he turned to me and said "this is the best day ever dad". After locating his and tagging his, I left him with my friend’s uncle and went after mine. My buddy told me he was just down the hill, sitting there. I could see the blood and I was ready to finish him off when he took off in to a bush. I had to shoot a few more times while my son kept yelling at me telling me he would come finish him off for me if I needed him to, all in all a great day. Thanks Rito and Eduardo for all your help.

post-3712-1296343814_thumb.jpg

post-3712-1296343731.jpg

post-3712-1296343783_thumb.jpg

post-3712-1296343838_thumb.jpg

post-3712-1296344051_thumb.jpg

Your son is turning out to be one tough son of a gun!

Kudos to him for hanging in there and getting the job done.

Its all worth it when the game hits the ground.

Congrats to you all.

Great story and congratulations to your son on his pig. Sounds like you all had a grteat hunt and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

congratulations to your son on his first animal with a bow at the age of ten!!! That is very awesome! thanks for sharing your story and pictures. Sounds like you guys had alot of fun. It blows my mind that a ten year old chose a bow over a rifle! There is no better way to experience a hunt then with a bow in hand.

Outstanding! Can't wait to show my boys this story. Gettin it done at 10 with a bow is impressive for sure!

Good job!!!!!

Those are some great memories you have created with your son. Way to go!!