Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Rica Hikes the Wave

Since getting rained out two weeks ago by impassible clay roads, Rica and I were able to secure another permit to hike and photograph the Wave in North Coyote Buttes along the Utah border. It is about a 90 minute hike into this sandstone area. Unfortunately, the sun was filtered by some high clouds preceding another storm, so we did not get the best of light. Still it was a good venture.

We started the day in an area called the Bone Yard with some sandstone rocks that have a lattice structure. They have fallen from the mountain above onto some striped sandstone slopes.

#1 Edited720BoneWave-March620.jpg

#2Edited720BoneSetWave-March6.jpg

Near the entrance to the Bone Yard

#3Edited720FinWave-March6201.jpg

From the Bone Yard, we hiked down the draw to Sand Cove.

#4Edited720SandCoveMarch6201.jpg

#5Edited720SandCoveWaveMarch6.jpg

From Sand Cove, we scrambles up the sandstone slop to an area called Second Wave. It was there in the early afternoon that the sun started shining through the thinning clouds. The weather front also ushered in some 50 mph wind gusts that made standing a bracing situation while being sandblasted.

#6Edited720SecondWave-March6.jpg

#7Edited720WaveSand-March620.jpg

A few hundred yards away is the Wave, the area that brings tourists from around the world.

From above the wave:

#8Edited720WaveAbove-March62.jpg

#9Edited720WaveTopView-March6-1.jpg

#10Edited720WaveDropMarch6201.jpg

From within the Wave:

#11Edited720WestWingWave-March.jpg

#12Edited720WaveVMarch62011_1.jpg

#13Edited720WestWindDoorWave-M.jpg

Rica donning her pack:

#14Edited720RicaWave-March620.jpg

A thicker bank of clouds loomed on the western horizon in the late afternoon, so without a pending sunset, Rica and I hiked back out to the truck to end our weekend journey.

Doug

Absolutely beautiful. Good to see Rica again. Thanks Doug for another outstanding job. :)

TJ

Unreal! Very cool pictures Doug. Great work capturing the colors and depth of scenery. I never knew these places even existed, thanks for opening my eyes B)

Thank you for looking and commenting.

Phil, like you, I did not know about most of these places until I put a camera in the hand and started researching cool locations.

Doug

You've done it once again Doug. Great pictures!! What's going on in picture #9? Someone confused about there being a energy vortex up there?

Love the pic with Rica. She certanly is livin it up!

Thaks again Doug for takin us with you.

Always love to see post with your pictures Doug! Thanks for sharing your stunning images!

Larry, could have been a vortex. I was certainly feeling the energy :blink: Or maybe it was just the wind and sand blasting my face ;)

RR, I always go right to your posts to see the latest awesome pic of another awesome place I've never been to! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Your photographic talent is immense! Thank you!

TJ