Sign in to follow this  
Bowsniper Jr.

My First Archery Turkey!!

post-4313-0-70912400-1303267783_thumb.jpg

Last Friday night my dad (bowsniper) and I drove up to 6A after school for my turkey hunt. I was using my bow and my dad had warned me that it would be hard so, we also brought along the shotgun just in case (originally I had gotten drawn for a shotgun turkey but I decided to use my bow). When we almost got into the forest, my dad realized that he forgot the chairs for the blind! :lol: So, we went back into Camp Verde to try and find some cheap lawn chairs. Instead, we found some 20 dollar chairs. My dad was desperate, so he bought them. Now we could hit the road again. Then, we found a place to camp by our spot and hit the hay.

In the morning we got up early and packed up for a day in the blind. That’s the only thing I don’t like about hunting, getting up early. Once we got into our blind by a water hole, we got comfortable and prepared for a long day in the blind. It didn’t take that long, we didn’t even get to eat lunch! About 9 o’clock, this gobbler came walking by. When he stopped, I drew and then released. I hit him mid body and the arrow stayed in him. The gobbler took off running.

Luckily we had a string tracker. Without that string tracker we never would have found my turkey. String tracker is something that attaches to the end of your stabilizer. It holds about 800 yards of 17 lb test sting. First, you take the broad head off of your arrow and tie the beginning of the string there, and screw your broad head back on and you are ready to go.

Anyway, the turkey took off running and the string went flying out. Soon, the string stopped going out. We waited 10 minutes, and then started following the string. Every two steps we took, my dad used his binoculars and glassed for the turkey. Eventually, we got close to him, except we didn’t know it. As soon as we heard him flapping, we ducked down. The turkey limped off as fast as he could, which wasn’t very fast. We could see that he was badly wounded and couldn’t fly. We waited 20 more minutes and then we heard really, really hard flapping. My dad thought that the turkey was on a death march and getting away, so he took off. I was going slower and examining more for the turkey, and then I saw it, a big old tom lying dead. My dad had sped past him so I said ‘Dad, there’s a turkey lying right there’. Funny moment! :D His beard was 9 3/4 inch long and his spurs were 3/4 inch each.

Thanks reading! :)

Daniel

post-4313-0-73071500-1303267807_thumb.jpg

post-4313-0-97262400-1303267905_thumb.jpg

Great pictures Daniel and a good writeup to go along with your beautiful bird. Congratulations young man. You've accomplished what alot of grownups haven't yet. Always enjoy reading your stories. Can't wait for the next. :)

TJ

Very Nice!

Congrats on a great trophy and very well earned with a bow non the less!

Way to go!

Nice job young man! And a cool story to go along with the great pics!

I have a 6A tag as well, and will have my bow in hand. Hopefully this year I will have similar results to you! (It would be a first for me - Toms and I don't seem to get along very well.)

Congrats!