GRONG

Neat finds while roaming the hills

hey Josh, whoever told ya them krag rounds were from the 1840's or 1860's is really off. the .30/40 didn't even come about until the 1890's. it was a real popular military round. saw a lot of action in cuba and the phillipines during the spanish American war. in both krag rifles and model 1895 winchesters. that bear trap is something else. musta been left there by a gov't trapper. i've actually helped set a couple o' them things over the years. the things you find when in wild places are really cool. i've never found anything of any value, but sure enjoy it when i find anything at all. found several dozen arrow heads here and there. found a sardine can in a cave in the gila wilderness that ben lilly used to camp in. found some blue glass and stuff in the same area where geronimo used to hide out at times. my kids found an old goat bell a couple years ago in a place that hadn't had angoras for nearly 70 years. i think i probably know the guy that bought the truck for cash. if it's the same one, he's in the joint right now for various things. found some old mule shoes and oxe shoes over the years. lotsa pottery. a couple o' pots. seen a lotta petroglyphs and paintings in caves. when we was kids we found a bighorn skull in a cave. put there by indians a long time ago. lotsa matates and manos. a couple o' tommyhawk heads. my ol' man told me a story about a buck he shot with his ol' .348 winchester years ago. some years later i was in the same canyon and found 2, .348 brass laying together. had to sit there and ponder that one for minute. tryin' to visualize the ol' codger as a young man shootin' and then punkin' that buck outta there. Lark.

Hey .270, That truck was 92' Ext cab. F-150, white with a big lift and 38" swampers. He actually told me he wanted it for outrunning Indians while cave-robbing! I think he was on the rez. His buddy bought a truck, for cash, just like it on that same trip to the valley. I figured that was where he'd end up or dead, His cash was green and spent well though, I just pretended it came from somewhere else to make me feel better. :blink: You said you never found anything of value, but it sounds like you have, just not monetary value. Good stuff! JIM

me and my dad were in 28 hunting about 10 years ago and found an old wagon wheel burried about half way in the dirt. took us a few hours but we got it dug out I guess where we were there used to be an old wagon trail running thru like a 100 or so years ago. the second thing I found wasnt exactly on a hunting trip. I was going up to showlow to visit my grandfather and while driving thru saltriver canyon on the ontop of one of the picknick tables at the pullouts was an indian man with paint on his face and a knife in his back!! I was by myself with no cell phone at about midnight. I was so frieking scared I hauled butt to the gas station up the road tried to tell the lady what I saw but was shaking and couldnt talk :blink: I never found out what happened with that one but it was surely an eye opening experience and kept my butt awake for the rest of the trip.

I've found one arrow head and a bunch of pottery pieces. I found one fifty cal round on a hill, it looked a bit out of place so I left it there. The coolest thing I found was on a ranch around Madera canyon. My buddy and I were hunting mule deer and took a break on a rock in the bottom of a small canyon. I looked down and sticking out of the mud was a piece of metal. I dug it up and it was an old pick axe head. I took it to the rancher who told me that people used to prospect the land around 1900 so it was probably left by one of them. It makes a nice addition to my front yard. My dead body story. I never saw the body but my buddies and I were camping and smelled something dead but were unable to locate it. Two weeks later I saw our campsite on the news because the forest service found the body of a woman that had been there for a few weeks. Kind of creepy knowing I camped about thirty feet from the body all night.

I am lucky to find my way back to the truck most times. That being said I have found 75-90% full pots, an axe head lots of petroglyph rocks and other assorted indian stuff and a killer Buck knife from the spot where I glassed up a bear that I eventually killed. I used the rusty knife to skin it after my other 3 blades were rendered useless by bear grease. Other than that I haven't really found anything too cool. That spanish armor find would be AWESOME!

Bret M.

Maybe it might be a wild boar or maybe just a demestic hog somebody took out to slaughter. If that is a javelina :blink: WOW

Second Shot,

That body your talking about, was that out by Sentinal/Hyder area off of I-8?

coosfan, it's gotta be the same guy. or one of the couple o' jerks he ran with. one of em is dead and the rest are all makin' license plates. i useta always go to river reservoir in greer when the water was low and get back all o' my rapalas that i broke off and everybody elses junk they lost there too. when i get to thinkin' about it, i've found a lotta stuff, but mostly like knives and boxes o' ammo and stuff. stuff folks left on their bumper and things like that. anything made in the last 40 years ain't too neat. arrow heads, tommyhawks, old guns, old saddles, etc., that's the stuff that's cool to find. a guy i used to work with used to hunt muleys in the praries around bonita. he said on more than one occasion he'd find a really old saddle, maybe a rusty old rifle and if he looked, human bones. he checked into it a little and was told that ol' Texas John Slaughter useta run down horse thiefs, kill em, dump all their tack and belongings on the ground and take the horse and ride away. be sorta creepy, but still be neat i guess. once while i was in college we were on a lab up on mt graham for a botany class. i was leanin' agin' a oak tree that had an old hole in it that was drippin' nasty sap out of it. i probed it a little with my knife and made something shine. dug it out and it was what looked like an old mini ball or maybe a .45/70 slug. had to have been there a long time. there's neat stuff out there. just gotta stumble into it. Lark.

once while i was in college

Their folks is the funniest fairy tale I have ever heard!!! :D What were you doing in "college" serving a community service sentence or gathering up trash or scamming on broads or what exactly? I am certain their wasn't a whole lot of educating going on! Bwaahahahahahahahaha!!!

Bret M.

I haven't found alot of things but I guess my best find would be an Indian spear head. It's about 3 3/4" long by alittle over 1 1/2" wide. It's pretty cool. I've also found fossils, very old bottles, very old shoes and others items.

And no, there weren't any feet in them shoes :D

BowhuntCoues,

That?s one of those rare and elusive Pterodactyl skulls; just ask my 5 year old son.

Buckhorn

somethin' tells me that there's gonna be bullwidgeon (whatever that is. is widgeon scandanavian for feces?) bones a bleachin' in the desert somewhere for folks to find. they'll be all together cuz nothin' will feed on it's stinkin' carcas and scatter em around. while we're sorta on the subject, what kinda wierd stuff have folks seen whilst in the wild? i mean other than a bullwidgeon. seems like a guy catches folks in some strange situations sometimes. Lark.

Had a guy and a girl pull up under my tree stand in 5B South and they just went at it (never knew I was there). And the strangest and funniest thing I?ve seen was will riding on our ranch near the rim; we came a cross a guy that had three garbage bags full of marijuana and he was trying to build a cabin so that he could stay the winter. It was about 10? X 10? and holes that you could put your fist through. To bad we called the sheriff; it would have been interesting to see if he could have made it through the winter.

Buckhorn