COOSEFAN

35B Dec. Coues

I want to say thanks to everyone that replied to my earlier post inquiring info about 35B. With that info I went there with alot more confidence, thanks. I settled on an area on the far eastern border of the unit and couldn't make it to the meet and greet in Amado on Fri. because camp was just too far. I'm helping a tagholder on the last week of the hunt and a good friend of mine, Craig Cormier, also had the tag. We went down there to scout and hunt together for the first week. We set up camp and got familiar with the area on Fri. and began our hunt on Sat. A 30 min. quad ride got us in and a 1 1/2 hour hike got us to our vantage point. Craig passed up a nice 80" buck on the way up and our hopes were high. We glassed for about an hour with only three does spotted and no bucks. We moved over the other side of the ridge to glass a different canyon when I saw a deer headed up out of the canyon. With no binos I could tell it was a buck and when I looked through them I about fell over. This was the largest framed buck I have ever seen. We stared in disbelief as the out of range buck went up and over the highest saddle. With gear packed up, we followed to try and relocate the buck. The backside was too thick to glass so we headed to another canyon east and started glassing there. Ten minutes later Craig glasses up another huge buck bedded in the sun in a small ravine. This new buck wasn't as wide or long but a toad nonetheless! The deer was 518 yrds straight down with a strong wind, so a stalk was made. Craig stalked to within 50 yrds. and dropped the buck with one shot. The buck grosses just over 108" and has incredible mass and character! This is the third coues that Craig killed and by far the biggest, and I've been fortunate to have experienced each one with him. There was no sign of rutting activity and only a few deer spotted but there's a bigger buck there and we'll be looking for him this week! B)

craigsbuck4.jpg

craigsbuck6.jpg

I was bored waiting for coueselk to finish his hunt story so I fixed the pic's in this earlier post! :lol: JIM

superb buck! Nice side shot, showing the mass and contrast in the antlers!

azp&y

GOOD LUCK ON TRYING TO GET CLOSE TO THAT 2ND COUES!

Awsome buck! Congratulations to Craig.

Just a side note, I thought you were helping your brother in 36B for the first few days of this hunt?

Good luck on the second half with your client.

Bret

YES, now we're talkin ;)

That's a dandy buck, tine length, mass, character, he's got it all!

A big congrats to Craig and thanks COOSEFAN.

Absolutely first class photos and many congrats on a successful hunt. Great !

Ernest

Congrats to you and Craig on such a nice buk. Thanks for sharing the pics and story. Good luck after Christmas-maybe you can find one of Santa's reindeer that is resting after the long flight.

Doug~RR

Awsome buck! Congratulations to Craig.

Just a side note, I thought you were helping your brother in 36B for the first few days of this hunt?

Good luck on the second half with your client.

Bret

Hi Bret, I was supposed to, but at the last minute he didn't know if he could go, so I had to change plans. I found out on opening morning that he had made it down and was camping out of his truck by himself! Craig and I drove the 90 miles over to 36B and helped him on Fri. evening with only a couple of spikes found. He camped with us in 35B and drove the 2 hour drive back to his spot in 36B on Sat. with the same results. Craig killed his buck that day so we helped Matt kill on Sun. in 36B. Thanks JIM

Thanks for your reply's, I told my brother and Craig that you guy's were gonna love their deer and have great reply's. They are probably on the site now reading them. Thanks again, JIM