Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Boat knowledge needed

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a family fishing/ski boat and almost pulled the trigger today. Luckily, the boat had a major failure in the steering linkage within minutes of starting our test-drive (the owner was driving, thank goodness).

I'm a research fanatic, so I have a pretty good idea of the type/brand of boat I think would be a good fit for our family. I've been looking at the Nitro 188/288, Ranger Realta (out of my price range), Procraft 181, Triton 188, etc.

So today I was close to buying 1996 Skeeter 200 SL, and met the seller at Roosevelt for a test drive. My first impressions were:

The bad:

Obviously, the entire steering system disintegrated. The cables that turn the motor were gummed up and frozen, so the steering box (adjustable tilt) had to take the pressure and basically turned to metal dust. An honest mechanic on Roosevelt has this fix at right around $1K for a non-tilt replacement. A new, fixed steering column and new cables at 16' to the motor. This adds a thousand dollars right off the bat, plus around $800 for a good, new trolling motor.

It's been sitting in the sun some, gelcoat is faded, carpet on the decks has been recently restored.

The seller, nice honest guy, has not really been proactive with maintenance. For sure, the impeller/water pump needs replacing, just a a 2-4 year upkeep (around $150). I haven't yet had the chance to do a compression test on the 6 plugs. This is a *massive* motor. and even something as simple as a new control unit is $1500. just for the part.

The carpet in the lower areas is pulling away badly and probably needs replacing and the fiber-glass floor is showing signs of cracking.

The cosmetic areas where hand-holds attach to the body show cracking in the white fiberglass.

The good:

It's 20' long and for a 15 year old boat doesn't show signs of abuse or neglect. It's got a Mercury 200 EFI motor that seems to run really strong (65+mph). He's got 2 stainless props - one, 4 blade and one 5 blade for skiing ang getting out of the hole.

The hull is in good shape, but has some smaller dings. Nothing major.

Cosmetically, it's OK, needs some work. Mechanichally, I'm not sure about the motor. If the motor is sound, the motor and trailer are worth more than the boat. If the motor has *any* issues, immediately we're looking at another 3+ grand.

So the good doesn't look that good, the bad is mostly cosmetic, but a comparable boat, a 1996 procraft Merc 200 EFi in Houston is listed at $10K. This one is around half that.

I want to get a nice boat to fish and play with my family, but I don't want to be dumping cash every year into a boat in it's last years.

Anyone out there with a good perspective on this?

The 2 best days of owning a boat are the day you buy it -- and by far the best day is when you sell it. I had one for 7 years and used it 3 times. If your not into it and dont mind dumping cash into it every time you go out.... go ahead and buy one....

Sorry. I was dissapointed with mine.

Ron

Definition of boat - hole in the water you throw money into

Some people get their money's worth out of them and some people cuss them, just the luck of the draw.

I'll always own a boat, my family and I love to fish.After saying that I won't own a boat that I

have to work on everytime I go to the lake.I think the most important part of a boat is the

motor.If it is questionable at all I would keep looking,there are plenty of good boats out

there right now.I would look at boats that are stored indoors,the weather is hard on them sitting

outside,and it also shows that someone took a little pride in keeping up with it.Also spending a little more money on one that was well taken care of is worth it in the long run. good luck

I have owned a few boats over the years and the one I own now will be the last one. It is a Ranger Bass Boat and I love it. The one thing I have learned in buying a boat is take notice of the seller if he takes care of the boat(garage kept, maintained regular and used regular) it will probably be a good buy. The other thing is having a good mechanic that you trust. A couple hundred bucks a year is worth it for no troubles on the water and keeping your rig running its best (60+ mph) ;)

Last comment was a good one. If the owner doesn't take care of the little stuff, he didn't take care of the big stuff. This Arizona sun will ruin a boat fast and thats the kind of neglect that turns them into money pits. A boat motor can be more reliable than the one in your car if taken care of and run regularly. But, who has the time to do that? Its gotta be run at least twice a month to keep those seals lubed, otherwise the fluids settle and everything dries out. I'm very leary of older boats with low hours, only means everything is dry rotted. I'd stay clear of the boat you looked at. If you're patient you can find a nice one for just a little more money.

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to let this one pass. It's a good looking boat, great motor, but as you guys have pointed out, it has not been maintained well, and already shows signs of a boat that will take more money to keep on the water than I would like.

After 20 years in the Coast Guard, and seeing alot of boats in all manor of shape, the advise of buying a boat that the previous owner took care of is a must. Trust your gut, and if it doesn't feel right, it is hard to shake that feeling and then you won't use it. I would rather have an older boat that was taken care of then something newer thats a "good deal."

Boat= Bust Out Another Thousand

I own a SeaRay Sundeck 190. Bought it when it was two years old, and the previous owner kept it in an air conditioned garage; it looked like it just rolled off of the showroom floor. Pricewise, I didn't get a steal, but the boat has been 100% trouble-free, and I'm glad we bought it. We are in the process of getting ready to sell it, only because the kids are losing interest, and we're thinking of buying a pop-trailer in it's stead.

My advice: look for a boat that is 1-3 years old that someone got "in over their head with". In these times, there are a lot of those out there. Also, when I show up at someone's house to look at an item, I look around me to see how they care for their other items: their house, cars, any other toys. If they take pride in keeping their dwelling and cars in good shape, they probably take good care of their boats as well. Just my two cents worth...but spend a little more up front for a newer, well-kept boat, and you will save big-time in the long run. As previously mentioned in other posts, their is no such thing as a $200 trip to the boat mechanic!

Good luck.

What ever you do when looking for a used boat make sure you lake test it and run it hard "full power" for a long way, If it can handle the test drive it should be Ok, A hard run will show most motor problems. A new water pump and lower unit oil should be the first thing you change out reguardless if the owner said he just did it,cheap insurance. If the gell coat is sun faded its an easy fix and you can make them look like new with some elbow grease.

Look at the trailer real good also, check the tires for uneven wear this usually can mean a bent axle or even frame. these things can be big headache.

From your post you said a fishing and a "ski" boat. I would not expect to ski behind a bass boat. WAYYYYYYY to fast !!!! I own a stratos with a 225 on it and it and it doesn't stay on the pad much under 35 mph wich is too fast to ski . Most sking is done from 27-32 mph.Most all bass boats are not made to pull a skier.

hi coach, i have owned bass boats for the last 20 yrs. they do cost money to upkeep. but if you dont do it they end up like that boat. anyway there is a nice looking fish and ski on azbasszone.com buying a used boat can be a risk so always do a test ride, ask how many hrs on motor, and do a compression test. there are good deals out there take your time. if i can help in any way pm me and i will give you mynumber jim

From your post you said a fishing and a "ski" boat. I would not expect to ski behind a bass boat. WAYYYYYYY to fast !!!! I own a stratos with a 225 on it and it and it doesn't stay on the pad much under 35 mph wich is too fast to ski . Most sking is done from 27-32 mph.Most all bass boats are not made to pull a skier.

Most bass boats are for hauling ase. if you have the correct prop "ski prop" you can ski with a bass boat. but dont expect to go fast with that prop. so you would want 2 props for the best of both worlds.

It is a good idea to do your research. I bought a boat from a dealer as a spur of the moment type thing. I use it all the time and love it, but when I look on Craigslist and see what I could have gotten for the same money I still kick myself. I would also have a mechanic check out the motor. This year I did a full tune up and found some cylynder head bolts that had been broken off by the previous owner.

It is a good idea to do your research. I bought a boat from a dealer as a spur of the moment type thing. I use it all the time and love it, but when I look on Craigslist and see what I could have gotten for the same money I still kick myself. I would also have a mechanic check out the motor. This year I did a full tune up and found some cylynder head bolts that had been broken off by the previous owner.