Coach

Finally made it to the Black River

We headed out early Wednesday morning to the Black River for a family outing. As always, it was a memorable day this one more than most. On the drive out we saw a herd of elk then got right into the middle of a flock of turkey. They were strutting and gobbling, so we shut the truck off and Matt made his best hen sounds at them while I used my turkey call to get them to gobble at us. They seemed to respond better to Matt than my slate call. Eventually, they decided my black Tacoma was just a big turkey, and they were strutting, fanning and gobbling within yards of us. A few minutes later we saw a few antelope with a small fawn just off the road, with either the biggest coyote weve ever seen or a young wolf in pursuit he didnt give us a good look, but we were pretty convinced it was a wolf. He just didnt carry himself like a coyote. Shortly after that, we came upon two coues deer bucks that had shed their antlers.

Minutes later, we parked at the edge of the Black River canyon and hiked down to my favorite place along the river. Ill let the pictures tell the rest of the story…

Getting started...

post-478-0-24846200-1306469239_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-27795900-1306469255_thumb.jpg

Josh gets his first fish of the day...

post-478-0-53554500-1306469270_thumb.jpg

post-478-0-45265400-1306469384_thumb.jpg

Matt lands the first big one...

post-478-0-07084400-1306469470_thumb.jpg

Carrie gets her first fish. She's laughing because she says it's "Biting" her. :P

post-478-0-73510400-1306469439_thumb.jpg

Nick and I team up on this big boy...

post-478-0-96970100-1306469544_thumb.jpg

A really nice one that couldn't resist a live crawdad in the afternoon...

post-478-0-93496900-1306469594_thumb.jpg

Carrie and I with a really nice one...

post-478-0-74419000-1306469670_thumb.jpg

My last cast of the day landed one of the bigger smalley's I've caught there...

post-478-0-20809000-1306469724_thumb.jpg

On the way out, we had a group of nice pronghorns challenge us to a race. One of them was HUGE. It was really cool for the wife and kids to see them open up and race the truck - they were totally amazed at the speed of those little buggers can do!

All and all, it was one of those days that was truly blessed. Our family, together from sunup to sundown, seeing and doing and experiencing things together some people never get to experience.

I hope you enjoyed the story and pictures.

AWESOME! Looks like it was a great day, very cool to see so much wildlife and catch some great fish and to do it all with the family.....super!

It's been many years since I've been to the river. Thanks for sharing and I enjoyed all the pictures. Sounds like you and the family had a great day fishing and watching all the wildlife on your trip in and out. That's living right there. :)

TJ

Thanks everyone - it was a blast. We had a little fish fry with all the ones that couldn't be released cleanly, and it was awesome. I noticed that the fish weren't filled with those little seed-looking worms this time. Maybe the river is cleaning itself up.

Great place. Where abouts were you? I go 3 or 4 times a year. Usually to the 10 of diamonds and malay gap areas. Best fishing in the state hands down.

When you say that 'day was truly blessed.' I agree. You were blessed 10x that day. Family, nature, fish, wildlife, etc. etc. etc. Amen.

When you say that 'day was truly blessed.' I agree. You were blessed 10x that day. Family, nature, fish, wildlife, etc. etc. etc. Amen.

+1 ragu!!! ;)

That being said, I've fished the Black River once a year for the past several........ I'm looking forward to a trip this summer's trip too! What do folks think the Wallow fire impact will be though?

I'm thinking that once the summer rain starts, that the Black might be in for a muddy, ash filled summer! :( Hopefully the fish can stay tough and ride it out.

S.

:)

Can't believe I missed this post. Looks like you had an awesome time Jason. Great pics. Been a long time since I've been down there. Hopefully the fish survive the ash filled runoff.

Again, great pics and story!

Brian