coues7

Wallow Fire

is there anywhere you can look for a map of the progress of the fire? I'm just curious where the fire has passed through so far. this is really sad. the white mountains is my favorite place to vacation in the summer, especially big lake. Lots of memories as a kid.

I'm new to the site, but I have a full size truck and can pull a trailer if we need to help anyone clear out I'm on board to help. Let me know I'm in.

I dont know if it would be any help or not. I have a place in Christopher Creek. Lots of room for quad or flatbed/dump trailers.

I just received an update. The fire crossed 249 at Williams Valley. Crews are still trying to stop it short of Nitrioso structures by backfiring from road 88 and 88B. They are also trying to point protect around Big Lake by back firing from the road into South Cove.

It's not just the FS...

EVERY action to do something other than leave the forests to ruin are stopped by Sierra Club and others in courts... this particular area is was 'critical habitat' for several T&E species. I have to wonder if the idiots filing these lawsuits to stop anything and everything ever thought that maybe a healthy forest is better than no forest. An apex ecosystem such as old growth conifer is exactly that, apex. It's NOT permanent... one way or the other it changes, whether through responsible thinning and logging, or catastrophic fire.

It seems many, even a portion that work there, have forgotten the fact that the Forest Service is part of the Department of AGRICULTURE, not the Department of the Interior. Cattle and Timber production are AGRICULTURE... parks and recreation are NOT.

Thanks for saying this. There are many of us in the Forest Service that would like to see things managed differently but our hands are tied in so many ways. I am definately not saying the Forest Service makes all the right decisions but there are many of us that agree that logging, ranching, and prescribed burns are crucial to replacing the low intensity fires that would naturally reduce the fuels every few years before we all came along. I know the Forest Service is not popular on this site and I can understand some of the reasons why but please know that there are fellow hunters and lovers of the outdoors within the agency that are really trying to make a difference for the good.

I dont think most are attacking ones like you. Most people understand that the "grunts" and ones doing the actual work that matters arent the problem. Its the upper level policy makers and management that the anger is geared towards. Anyone who works for any government knows that most of the people on top make decisions based on what is most benefical towards there careers not whats best for the state, country, and its people. Political and career ambition trumps integrity. Its unfortunate but its seems to be what drives peoples motivations.

Posted this on the "Saddest Trip Ever" thread, but I'll put it here as well.

I live in Lakeside, if any of you guys evacuating the fire need a place to store a boat or trailer, I'd be happy to let you park whatever you need at my house. I don't have much storage for "loose" things, but I'll do whatever I can to help. Shoot me a PM. If I don't get back to you right away, I'm going to be on the road starting Sunday to attend a funeral in Oklahoma, but you can call me at 928-242-9350. I've got enough space here to park a couple of trailers filled with belongings, etc.

Doesn't seem to be as much media coverage on this significant fire. The media was all over the RC fire when it happened.

Anyways, here is what was highlighted at the community meeting held tonight. It has to be a frightening time for a lot of people. It's sickening to think of how much has burned. Spotting in Nutrioso, 40 mph winds overnight Th/Fri; horrible conditions.

http://www.wmicentral.com/news/eagar-public-meeting-updates-status-of-wallow-fire-conditions-worse/article_39ab81fe-8a47-11e0-abac-001cc4c002e0.html

I just received an update. The fire crossed 249 at Williams Valley. Crews are still trying to stop it short of Nitrioso structures by backfiring from road 88 and 88B. They are also trying to point protect around Big Lake by back firing from the road into South Cove.

Not good.were any structures in nutrioso lost overnight?

I hate to think of the loss of quality wilderness and peoples homes and cabins by this fire, and like previous post I'd like to know why the new isn't reporting this more. Also, obvioulsy the deer and elk will move out of the area, I'm curious how far into neighboring areas will game likely move, and what effect will it have on the exsisting game when these new deer and elk move into there area? I guess I mean regarding food source? Could this enhance hunting in neighboring units or have a negative effect. These questions may be to soon to discuss, I don't want to seem insensitive to the folks that live in the area.

The way the winds are blowing, a lot of the smoke is blowing straight to Albuquerque, NM. You can smell the smoke here and yesterday evening the smoke was so thick I couldn't see the mountains that are just a few miles away. The way it looks, you would think that the fire is pretty close to us.

A customer of mine was fishing the black when it started. He says it started in bear wallow canyon it self. He said he is almost positive it was started by man! Giving the Amount of traffic, and the amount of campers its not possible for it to have Started any other way.

There has to be some sort of accountability for this there has to be. The 100 fine needs to be 100,000 then maybe people will think twice.

A customer of mine was fishing the black when it started. He says it started in bear wallow canyon it self. He said he is almost positive it was started by man! Giving the Amount of traffic, and the amount of campers its not possible for it to have Started any other way.

There has to be some sort of accountability for this there has to be. The 100 fine needs to be 100,000 then maybe people will think twice.

Personaly i think they should pay 100% of the costs to fight the fire. Then that should be in a $1000. a month payment until all is payed in full or the rest of their lives in most cases.