coues7

Wallow Fire

Headed back tommorow for another 14 days we saved all structures in alpine up 191 both east and west sides as of now just got word that it spotted across 116 rd into burrow mountain headed towards baldy. Winds are blowin 40 plus today also escudilla is on fire headed towards terry flat country i have been on the forest service for 9 years on engines and have never seen a fire like this.went up willams valley yesterday the south side when you top out in the flats the timbered knolls to the south have been a total loss. Like i said im born and raised in eagar and so are my parents it brings tears to my eyes when you see what it looks like.I just feel helpess in the fight against this fire been puttin in hours between 16 and 24 hours we need to pray for rain and no wind so we can hook this monster. thanks kyran walker

I was just up there on a turkey hunt, due to the Forest service thinning project to the south and west of Alpine probably saved it from going up in flames. I have friends with the Forest Service and they will be the first ones to tell you that they have to jump through hoops to perscribe fire. The fire started in an area deemed as a wilderness area which was lobbied by the Enviornmental Wacko,s to keep the forest in what they deem as the forest's original state prior too man's involvment. So the Forest Service can not even think about any cleanup of dead and down trees or even thining.

I have hunted unit 27 all my life. The fire burned through some of the best elk country in the state and now it is just gone. It suxs to see what careless people can do in the blink of an eye. I do not know for a fact but if there was an order to not go and fight the fire but I bet it was most likely for the well being of the fire fighters trying to rush in and do the work they were trained to do.

I hope the Sierra Club and other org. figure out that they have done more harm than good and that legislators will move to throw out the rulings made in there behalf.

Also hanaggan meadows lodge made it through the blaze you can thank assasin on this site for all those efforts for savin it hes my engine boss.

Oh Lord Help Them...... I just got a call from my husband who is working at the fire. They have abandoned Big Lake, its going to burn.....

Also hanaggan meadows lodge made it through the blaze you can thank assasin on this site for all those efforts for savin it hes my engine boss.

Thanks for taking the time to get on here and speak your mind. My brother is on a crew stationed in Happy Jack. He's been the only engine in his district so they haven't been called to the Wallow Fire yet. Another engine gets back tomorrow so he's hoping like heck they get the call. Just about everyone in the FS that I've talked to wishes they could be on that fire and do whatever they can to help. He tells me a little of what you guys have to go through to get the job done and it's pretty disheartening to hear people just bash away when they really have no clue.

Thanks again to everyone fighting this fire. Stay safe out there.

If escudilla and terry flats are burning, well, I don't want to go down that road. prettiest place I've ever scene on this planet, I prefer it to anywhere else. In the fall that aspens are mesmerizing, Ill have to post some pics, it'll be depressing to see some before and afters of this fire once its through.

i read the other day that they have thinned 20,000 acres in Az since the new thinning mandates started. 20,000 in the entire state. what's this thing burned? over 200,000. the reason the treehuggers have so much success is because the forest circus is lined up with them. the usfs NEVER does anything that isn't detrimental to someone. their own decisions contradict their own rules. yeah, someone was stupid and lazy and started this fire. but the forest circus intentionally let it get outta control. what they did was worse than the what the morons that started it did. like i say, i really hope none of the guys fighting this thing get hurt. but if they do, the blame will be squarely on the the guys that made the decision to let it burn. right along with all the destruction of the timber, wildlife and private property. and then when the fire is out and it does rain, the ash will kill every fish in every creek that gets choked up with it. this fire is gonna clear out a lotta stuff and eventually things will get back to where they need to be. but the forest should never have been allowed to get in the condition it was in and the decision to let this thing burn was criminal and whoever made that decision, well i hope they burn in heck. like i've said before, that mountain is about the best friend i ever had and it makes me sick to see this happen. and if the forest circus is going to insist on managing the forest, then they need to quit being so stupid about the way they do it. Lark.

Google Earth shows the entire west side of Escudilla burning. Makes a man sick to his stomach.

To hear that its working northeast threw the Coleman springs area breaks my heart. I killed my first bird there when I was 15. I pray that mother nature gives everyone up there a break and they can get this under control. I truly hope it doesn't make the drop and head for Greer. Stay safe everyone up there.

I have been on this fire since it started in bear wallow creek i am born and raised in this country you guys all blame the forest service only ones to blame is ourselves people are mad when we put restrictions up and mad if we take them down cant make every one happy. Ihave been workin 14 days straight and putting in long hours tryin to save this country we need to quit blammin and pray and hope no firefighters get hurt and no one loses there homes.

I, too, would like to thank you and all others involved in fighting this fire. My prayers will continue for all who are affected by this.

Please be safe. God bless you all.

this is sickening. someone correct me if i'm wrong, when i was up in nover skosher i read somewhere that when this fire started the forest circus elected to just watch it for a couple days because they said they thought it would burn itself out. is that a true statement? i know they ain't ever gonna own up to it, even if it is true. but did they actually make that statement?

talked to my cousin's wife last night. the fire has started going south now too, and has come over the rim and is going down the canyons into dry prong, warren canyon and onto the rez. Lark.

I was watching the fire related websites and it looked like the sent in crews and air tankers as soon as it was discovered. The fire was reported at 2:00 PM and by 8:00 PM they had ordered a type 2 team to suppress it, which is about the fastest I have ever seen a team ordered for a fire.

Their planning levels dictate what they can do. They were in planning level 4 when it started.Here is the description of it.

Preparedness Level 4

Description - Resources are fully and frequently being mobilized in some areas; initial attack

is unsuccessful on a daily basis. Aviation resources are critical to success. Some dispatch

areas are extremely busy and IMT fires occurring regularly. Resources have to be actively

managed and agencies consulted regularly. Large fire behavior is high or extreme; threats to

life and property are high, as is agency and fire manager concern.

When they are in this level, they never let a fire go, especially when the wind is blowing hard. They are now in preparedness level 5 as of today.

Preparedness Level 5

Description - Fire resources throughout the SW Area are almost fully committed. Higher level

of initial attack is unsuccessful. Use of aviation resources is essential for initial attack and

large fire support. Numerous dispatch areas are at full operational level. Almost or all SW IMTs

are in use. Large fire behavior is high or extreme; threats to life and property are multiple and

complex. Agency and fire manager concern is consuming.

For the SWA to be at PL-5, at least two of the following must be met:

Several zones are experiencing major fires, and critical national resources are fully utilized.

Additional firefighting resources and support may not be available, or their arrival is delayed

for multiple operational periods.

Initial attack success is compromised in some areas.

Most SWA Incident Management Teams are committed to incidents within the Southwest

Area. Support to the National Response Plan may be high.

Fire behavior is severe enough that control efforts are often compromised due to advanced or

extreme fire behavior or extreme spotting conditions. These conditions are widespread in the

geographic area.

The military or national guard is needed or may be tasked for assistance.

amybody hear how bill quimby is makin' out in this mess? did he get evacuated ok? Lark.

I sent Bill an e-mail today and asked if there was anything I could do for him and haven't heard from him. I hope he is alright. I will let you know if I hear from him.

TJ

I have been on this fire since it started in bear wallow creek i am born and raised in this country you guys all blame the forest service only ones to blame is ourselves people are mad when we put restrictions up and mad if we take them down cant make every one happy. Ihave been workin 14 days straight and putting in long hours tryin to save this country we need to quit blammin and pray and hope no firefighters get hurt and no one loses there homes.

I hate to ask this for answer I might recieve, but is it complete scorched nuclear type damage or is there still a decent amount of forest left?? I know nothing about fires, just been hearing lots of different rumors.