Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

I Lied

When my silver lady lab, Sasha, died a while back, my wife and I took her early death pretty hard. As a result, we had vehemently proclaimed, "no more dam_ed dogs." We fibbed.

The tale behind the change of heart.....

After Sasha died, the gal at the Arizona Labrador and Giant Breed Rescue {ALGBR} organization who had facilitated Sasha's adoption for us asked me if I would consider being a foster home. I told her we would eventually. So about two weeks ago she called and asked if I would foster a chocolate lab named Hershey until ALGBR found a permanent home for him. Obviously, before I agreed I asked lots of questions and as usual expressed my dislike for male dogs, even though I've had a couple before.

Turns out Hershey was originally turned over to ALGBR for adoption about a year ago. He was five years old then. So he went into a foster home -- one with many younger kids and two other labs -- a yellow and a black. After a few weeks, the foster family decided to keep him, perhaps because Hershey completed the set, so to speak. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that relationship lasted until a couple weeks ago when Hershey grabbed a cookie out of the hand of the 9-yr. old son and accidentally grabbed a finger but didn't even break the skin. The boy is autistic, however. As a result, every time he saw the dog, the kid had screaming fits. Hershey was thus relegated to spending his hours in the laundry room whenever the boy was home. It wasn't the ideal life, especially for a dog like Hershey.

Sooooo...the family rightly decided to return Hershey back to ALGBR for another adoption to someone who could provide a better home environment.

Finally, after I spoke with Holley, the lady of the family, I was satisfied that Hershey would be fine among all my various taxidermy items -- skins, skulls, etc. laying about the house -- that he would have ready access to. I also don't allow dogs on the furniture; she assured me he doesn't chew things and doesn't "do" furniture or beds.

His downside: he supposedly would eat anything he could find on the kitchen counters, floor or whatever, and he barked a lot, especially when he wanted to eat, play, heard noises outside, etc. They even used a bark collar on him. Still, I agreed to take him in until he was adopted.

So on a Sunday a bit over a week ago, Holley brought him to my house. As I watched her walk Hershey up the driveway, I thought she had a black bear on the leash. He's big; she told me he weighed 108 lbs. So in they came and Hershey immediately came to me for a friendly greeting. At that point, Holley said he probably might need to go out. I removed his leash and had him follow me to the dogie door. He had never used one before. I held open the flap, he went out, did his business and came back in through the door. I never had to show him again. He then went over to Sasha's kennel and grabbed her Kong toy. He brought it to me and dropped it at my feet. He then walked off and sat down, waiting for me to toss it to him. He caught it in mid-air, just like Sasha always did.

So he moved in and quickly adapted. That night, he met my wife at the door when she came home from work. She didn't know he would be there. :rolleyes: I had told her we might be getting him, though. She didn't really have a problem with it but was surprised to see this monster waiting to greet her.

To date, although we have been careful when defrosting steaks and stuff, he has not even looked at "bait" food on the counter. And I'd bet he hasn't barked more than four or five times since he's been here. He's highly obedient and knows sit, stay, down, heel and come. He'll walk without a leash and readily climbs into the back seat of my Durango to go for a ride. Within two days, I taught him to "kennel" when we eat dinner. He stays in it with the door open now until I finish eating, get him a treat or two and sit on the sofa in the family room. When I say "OK," he walks over, sits and gives me a paw to get the treats. Best of all, he even listens to Ellen.

After three days here, I quickly assayed Hershey as the perfect gentleman. I had decided I wouldn't mind keeping him, even with my dislike for male pups. BUT...I wasn't too sure Ellen would agree to this part since she was reluctant to even do the foster home bit. Thus, I had to wait for the right time to even think about mentioning it.

And now for the rest of the story....

Last Weds. night, I was sitting on the family room couch, and my wife was sitting in the recliner a few feet away. Hershey was sitting next to her on the floor with his head on the arm of the recliner. Ellen was petting him, and Hershey was eating it up. She looked at him and said, "Hershey, you're such a super boy."

Suddenly my brain went "BINGO!" It was the opening I had waited for. I quickly jumped into it.

"You know," I said, "even though I don't care for male dogs, we really ought to think about keeping him."

At that point, I expected one of two replies. Either she might say, "No way. I said no more dogs," or "Well, let's think about it for a while." Instead, I got, "But he's so mellow and good."

From the tone of that, I knew it was a done deal. The next day I called the gal at ALGBR and told her we wanted to keep Hershey. She was ecstatic because she had met him when he originally came to ALGBR and thought he was a great dog. So she set up an appointment to visit the organization's vet to make sure Hershey was in good shape. Other than a minor ear infection and his weight -- now at 114 lbs. -- every thing tested perfect.

We are now in the process of an official adoption. Now we have to work on getting his weight down to the 87 lbs. he was a year ago.

Meet Hershey.........

post-82-0-39491000-1307653654_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-86513500-1307653688_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-95178000-1307658079_thumb.jpg

post-82-0-61489300-1307653711_thumb.jpg

looks and sounds like a great dog.

Tony, some things are just meant to be --- happy for you (and Hershey) ...

Tony, I love reading your stories and your adventures with your dogs. Thank you for bringing some good news and enjoyment to a rough day.

Tony, I am so delighted for you and Ellen and so so happy for Hershey, sounds like this was meant to be! No matter how many times I say "no more dogs" I can't imagine my life without one!!!

Congrats on the new addition. And you knew you were going to keep him when you got the call!!!!

Tony,

You old softy. This is a good day, enjoy Hershey!

It's amazing how Hershey took to Tony and Ellen. You would have thought they owned him their whole life. If you ever get the chance to meet Hershey you're in for a real treat and you will see first hand how he could make an old softy out of anyone, even Tony. lol Peg and I had the pleasure of spending the evening, over dinner, with Ellen & Tony last Saturday and you could feel the love this dog had for them and them for him. God has a plan for us all and this is definitely one of his best. Yes, dinner was awesome and thank you Ellen and Tony for a wonderful evening. Can't wait to see Hershey again at the cwt outing. :)

TJ