Sign in to follow this  
ducknshedz

Wallow Fire Tower

That picture sure paints a perspective of what the area will look like.

Very saddening. Unfortunately I do not recognize the tower.

I have hunted Colorado several times around and in the Missionary Ridge area.

Sixty thousand acres burned on that mountain and it was huge.

I can't wrap my head around how much acreage this Wallow fire has burnt up.

Without a doubt that's escudilla. I hiked up there last fall, and, wow, what a sad sight to see. That day the aspens were golden, the air crisp, the firs green, and the sky a deep blue. I remember exactly that staircase and the walk around the enclosed area. Before pics like theses I had hope that the fire was only burning on the ground in a lot of areas, how Naive. I'm at a loss for words.

Shot my only bull, elk ever for that matter, up there last year. Thats one area I hope hadnt burned to the ground. That sucks!

Looks like Escudillo with Profanity ridge in the near background and Terry Flat in the far background. With the wind direction and that steep slope it isn't hard to imagine the fire just racing right up it. Hopefully the rest of the fire was more spotty.

I always liked that name, profanity ridge. It supposedly came from the other big fire in 1951 in that area that torched about 20,000 acres. The firemen recruited to help the blaze would have to hike over that steep ridge every day to get to crucial areas. Apparently the cursing helped ease the pain :rolleyes:. Anyway those firemen sures shouted a few mouthfuls and thats how Profanity Ridge came to be.

take a look at these pics and you'll instantly realize theres no doubt its escudilla

That sure puts things into perspective. very sad

Quite a drastic difference. Escudilla will likely see a lot of erosion these next monsoon seasons, like the east side of San Francisco Peak did last year.

uh oh, dogpatch best look out or get some flood insurance on all them camp trailers with additions built on to em. i heard the whole place burnt down and it did $400,000 in improvements. Lark.

Moisture will help the country grow back, run-off is going to knock out the Apache trout that the FS was working hard to get going back in their home territory, quite a few critters got burned up or choked out by the smoke. Have a few pics from the Horseshoe 2 and Murphy I will get around to sharing eventually. None of the big fires were natural starts, heard on the news yesterday the Wallow was due to a campfire left burning, the Horseshoe 2, Murphy Complex and Monument were started by illegals. Don't imagine the news stations share that with you folks tho. When I left the Horseshoe 2 on June 6th about $32 mil had been spent, don't know about the costs on the other 2, the Murphy was a little over 68k acres and with the wind yesterday the Monument is blowing up. I was watching the plume grow the last couple days. The Wallow will top them all dollar wise tho, probably combined, based on the IMT's and number of personnel on it.