daryl_s

Early hunt dilemma

We just went and checked the cameras yesterday and it seems that the deer are quite a ways behind other years as far as antler growth at this date. Is anybody else noticing this in the areas they hunt? I have seen some of your trail cam pictures and noticed the same thing in some areas but not in others. I am not a trophy hunter but it would seem it would be weird to harvest a deer that is still far from done growing. Is this going to change opening day/weekend plans for any of you??? It is for me. I am going to spend opening weekend trying to call in a mountain lion that has been hanging around a lot in this area the last few months.

slow growth dont bother me one bit. ill be hunting at my earliest convenience. i will also take the first ethical shot on the first legal buck i see.

what does concern me is the forecast calling for rain most of this week and weekend.

I've noticed the same as well. Some bucks look to be on track with last year, but the majority are still growing.

I agree... but I never like hunting the first week for that reason... The horns are almost 100% by the last week... that is when I'd rather be out there... they still have dark blue bulbs on the beams and and g-3...all that fluid in the end just drys up...and you get them back from the taxi with major shrinkage. I'll be bear hunting The first days of the hunt if we score then I'll help my wife try for her first archery turkey.

• Like 1

I agree... but I never like hunting the first week for that reason... The horns are almost 100% by the last week... that is when I'd rather be out there... they still have dark blue bulbs on the beams and and g-3...all that fluid in the end just drys up...and you get them back from the taxi with major shrinkage. I'll be bear hunting The first days of the hunt if we score then I'll help my wife try for her first archery turkey.

+1 but my wife will be hunting a buck that I think is pretty close to done.

havent seen to many mule deer....but all the coues have bulbs on there main beams still...except spikes i think they are done......i blame it on the lame winter rain there was no good feed to get them on track...and now that the hills sides are green they are growing late.

• Like 1

all the mule deer i have seen have been done i think. but 98 percent coues i have seen still have alot of growing to do. I have a great buck i have on cam and he will be a monster by the time he finishes but who knows what could happen to him or the pressure that will come when season starts

I pretty much plan on just scouting till labor day weekend. Way to much growing left for the spots I plan on hunting.

Good tip for all of you horn hunters: Stay out of the woods till the last week. :D

havent seen to many mule deer....but all the coues have bulbs on there main beams still...except spikes i think they are done......i blame it on the lame winter rain there was no good feed to get them on track...and now that the hills sides are green they are growing late.

**update went and checked new spot and two bucks that i glassed up are about done...one is going to be a small fork and one a decent 3x3 and no bulbs.

TTT

Thought I'd bring this back to the top. Let me preface this by saying I'll try to keep this as positive as possible. I'll also preface this by saying THIS IS NOT A JEALOUSY POST, like so many have claimed on other threads that went sour. I have a bow and an archery tag and time, money, desire, etc. to go bow hunting. But would I go out right now? HECK NO! Look at the bucks these guys have been shooting. Again no offense to anyone who harvested something or just went out this week(remember G$F sets these rules so ethical=legal as Lark would say). What you guys did was both ethical and legal. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I know it's not all about the antlers or the trophy for many of us, but what in the heck are you gonna do with one of those velvet bucks with all the blood balled up in the tips. Again any AZ buck with a bow is a true trophy and I am happy that people got to go out and enjoy life as a hunter in the woods this week, but I think that G$F should move the archery hunt later into the season.

I do think the season should be moved back a week. With that said my dad got a 2X2 yesterday and I am going out for 10 days starting tomorrow. I just want to hunt!