Sign in to follow this  
jeffcros

My amazing bowhunting weekend

Thursday evening I'm on the road headed North for the opener of archery turkey and deer. I get in before the rain hits, run to a little spot I've been watching throughout the summer for turkeys. I set up my ground blind, check my trail cam, and put my chair in the blind. I set up a cot, a tarp and a little fire to burn a hamburger and call it a night. The alarm came quick, I got some clothes on and went to my blind. The turkeys were talking at 6:15 all around me, finally at 6:45 3 hens came in and stood long enough for a G5 to ruin here day. Took some pictures, picked up camp and hauled butt down south to meet up with my friend Matt Woodward of Borderland Adventures. I showed up around 2 on Friday afternoon, by 3 we were stalking a 160 class mulie buck with some smaller bucks in tow. Well they gave us the slip as well as a couple of other bucks that evening. Saturday we found ourselves glassing some mulies and whitetails. Finding multiple bucks throughout the day kept the excitement up. With five guys in camp there was alot of coins being flipped on who was to stalk first and where they would go, ect. ect. With the heat like it was Matt told me of a little seep that he remembered from a few years previous, so I decided to give it a try on Sunday afternoon. I set up in front of a mesquite 34 yards uphill from the water. With the wind going in the right direction I was very hopeful of something making an apperance. After about two hours and a little cat napping I opened my eyes to a doe standing there at the water. I was just enjoying the view when I caught a little movement below me. It was a nice buck slinking towards the water. When he got close to the water the doe left. He walked behind a small mesquite which gave me the opportunity to draw my bow. He took a couple of steps and stood in my shooting lane for just a second too long. I sent a muzzy into his heart, he went about 70 yards straight down hill before piling up. I'd like to thank Matt of Borderland Adventures for putting me into some awsome deer country and into some awsome deer. Over the three days with him we saw around twenty bucks. Both Mulies and Whitetails. Enough of the writing heres some pictures, enjoy. The buck scored 95 1/8 gross.-Jeff

post-2457-0-70499300-1314075458_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-87975000-1314075508_thumb.jpg

turkey1 (Small).bmp

post-2457-0-78455500-1314075596_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-09500300-1314075638_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-05138100-1314075671_thumb.jpg

post-2457-0-01384600-1314075700_thumb.jpg

DEER2 (Small).bmp

That is a very nice buck. You should be proud.

Congratulations on your double. :)

TJ