Sign in to follow this  
tommat

5B south Archery Cow Elk Success!

This is my 3rd cow elk, (2nd with a bow). Still trips my trigger! I know there have been some great pics and stories of the bull hunts but us cow hunters are people too! I will make a long story short however. She was taken Sun the 18th arond 08:30. I had just left the quad just before first light at my favorite spot where I had several close stalks the previous morning when I heard 2 to 3 herd bulls just screaming. Was on one of the herds within 10 min. They were feeding into the wind, ( as always ) 'bout 200 yds ahead of me. I closed to 100 fairly quickly, staying in the shadows, and just creeping along trying to watch all the cows and satellite bulls at once. Got busted a couple of times but froze and they returned to grazing. (try that with a deer!). An hour and a half later was within 80 yds of a couple cows but the forest was getting denser, so I didn't think I was gonna intersect a cow with a good lane. Around then a small 5 x fed right up to me from my side and held me up for 5 or 10 min and the main herd fed away and out of sight. He moved away from where he came and another herd started feeding just through the area I had just sneeked through. Wishing I had just stayed there, I began to head this new herd off. They were a little more alert and I had to cross some sunny areas. I was busted pretty quick about 120 yards off. A little apart from the main herd, the herd bull appeared, screaming and carrying on. He was much closer, ranged him at 60 yards. He was a respectable 6 X. I noticed a smattering of cows and calfs behind him and they were clueless as to my whereabouts. I was in the sun however and there was no cover between us. I carefully ranged the closest of one the cows at 72 yds. (Before you start, I had practiced at these long shots all summer, including at times with my broadheads, most everyday. I am fortunate to live in a rural area and can walk out in my front yard and do this easlily and often!) ((I also passed up a 42 yd shot three days previous because I just didn't like how she was quartering and was very restless as she had busted me as I drew)). I went to full draw, settled the pin and released! The shot looked great in the air, but I lost the arrow flight in a shadow as it approached. I was using a 100 grain schwacker and man, they aren't lying when they say you can here it schwack when it hits!. She jumped straight up and hopped a close by 3 strand fence. Unfortunatly, I didn't get to watch her run as I should have, as a calf got tangled in the same fence trying to escape the ruckus I had caused. She was screaming and bawling. I became distracted as to how I was going to free this calf as I approached the spot where the cow was standing. As I got in the area the calf broke free and trotted off. I began looking for my arrow and one of my hunting buddys approached. He had been stalking the same herd from a different direction and just about saw the whole thing. We didn't locate the arrow but found a couple good blood splashes in the path of where she hopped the fence.

post-2234-0-02707700-1316812161_thumb.jpg

post-2234-0-47731600-1316812246_thumb.jpg

Since I hadn't located my arrow, and wasn't sure where she was hit I wanted to give her 45 min or so before taking up the trail. We got ahold of a couple more buddies in the area and got them coming. They arrived in a half hour or so. Meanwhile I looked hi and low for my arrow. We decided it must have not exited. A few min later one of my buds saw her about 140 yards off, down. We approached and she was done for. We gave thanks to our Lord Jesus Christ and shared high fives all around and of course took some pics.

post-2234-0-36809800-1316812558_thumb.jpg

post-2234-0-40302400-1316813638_thumb.jpg

Her belly might look a little large. You'll have to take my word on this. That belly is loaded with gallons of blood and a lot of air as well. My arrow was just a skosh back. It punctured the spleen, and liver. I think I also got at least a piece of lung due to the air in the abdomen. (This also could have been caused by slicing the diaphragm also.)

post-2234-0-79459800-1316812946_thumb.jpg

I had mixed results with my set up. The blade cut visciously as promised, with massive internal bleeding and a so so blood trail. It got less and less as we progressed to her. I am dissapointed with the lack of full penetration. I am going to blame this on relativly light arrow weight, about 350 grains and the distance of the shot. I will work on this before my next elk tag, especially if I ever go after Bull I know I need to get up and over 400 grains. The break point is misleading as the shaft was marked with blood to about 8" short of the fletching, working back out as she ran and fell. This gives me about 20" of peneration. My last cow was a complete pass through at 35yds with a similar weight arrow. We made quick work of the field care, completly removing innards, hide and hoofs in about an hour after being sure to drag her into some deep shade. I then treaded lightly in with my quad, loaded the front and back end on and treaded back out to the closest road, about a half mile out.

post-2234-0-40254300-1316813536_thumb.jpg

post-2234-0-29899700-1316813871_thumb.jpg

I delivered 230 lbs of meat and bone to the butcher. Can't wait for that first Elk Burger! If your still there thanks for taking the time to share my hunt!

• Like 1

Very nice job, how much meat do you expect to have when the butcher is finished? Someone else feel free to answer as well.

Congrats

Very nice job, how much meat do you expect to have when the butcher is finished? Someone else feel free to answer as well.

Congrats

Im having it done boneless .........im hoping around 125 - 150lbs of meat.

Congrats

If she is a good average cow like 260 to 280 hanging weight just meat and bones and have a bone out cut you will be lucky to get 50% back more like 40% Sou would be happy to get back 110 to 130 #s of pure beautiful elk meat!!!!!!

Oh ya and congrats on a job well done!!! Once I shoot a bull over 330 I will start putting in bull 1st choice and cow 2nd choice. I miss just being up there playing with the elk and having elk meat in my freezer all the time. Congrats again

Dom

Nice job on taking the cow. Some of my most memerable hunts have been cow hunts. I also learned a lot about elk while chasing the ladies.