Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

big family weekend in unit 1

I was very pleased with my brothers draw this year, as he drew his first elk tag, a juniors only cow hunt in unit 1, as well as a juniors only 33 tag.

Opening morning found my brother, my 82 year old grandpa, and myself heading to a meadow that holds a watertank in the middle of it. I killed my cow off this tank years ago, and my grandpa killed his first bull in the same meadow. As soon as the diesel engine in my truck shut down, I heard two bulls bugling back and forth. I could tell one was behind us, and one was on the rez, but moving our way and we needed to move! We made a mad dash to the meadow and as I'm sitting down inder the trees, a 300" class bull, a spike and a lone cow hit the opening trotting across the meadow. I hurry to get Cory set up but I can't get the cow to stop, and at only 50 yards I still don't want him to take a moving shot so they make it into the trees. We decided t follow them and about 100 yards into the tres I see two cows, in the open but standing one in front of the other. No shot. We move another 100 yards closer to the meadow the bull is screaming in and spot him and a few cows but wouldn't you know it, the cows leave before him and were stuck looking at a nice 6x6 bull at 90 yards for five minutes. Nasty weather keeps us in the cabin that night.

Saturday morning my dad, girlfriend, and her daughter join us on a cold, 13* morning with snow on the ground. Nothing shows that morning so we pack up early and go in and see what's going on at the youth camp. On our way out, I stop and glass one of our favorite hills and wouldn't you know it, 9 elk are up there.

Off we go. My brother and I jump out, having our stalk planned. We make a perfect stalk, yet no elk.

We then walk back to the truck and start the drive out. As we're driving out, Sarah and I spot the herd bull standing on the ridge looking down at us. Again cory and I jump out, move under a tree and start looking for cows. I spot them, range them and click the turrets. I must have rushed Cory as he missed twice and suffered scope bite twice! One really good one across the nose.

That evening, I glass up the same herd, from the same spot, at the same spot. So off we go agan. We take our time and get set up perfectly. No elk. I replay where I spotted them at, and realize they're behind the roll of the hill. We follow the tree line for 150 yards or so, and there they are feeding. We set up, Cory laying down and I put my leicas on my tripod and start ranging them and watching for a cow to clear. It takes one cow about 15 minutes to clear, I tell Cory that she's at 235, put it on her and drop her when you're ready. The 257 wby goes off and the cow drops like a ton of bricks!!! Excitement follows on both ends.

I then walk back to the truck with Sarah, her daughter Kyla, and my dad in tow.

Before getting to work, and while watching the sun set over the valley, I drop to my knee and ask Sarah to be my wife and she accepts. Was a great day for the family. One I won't soon forget!