kaibabkiller

Berger VLD exit wound!!!

Just wanted to share a photo of the exit wound on the deer my son shot yesterday. I know there are plenty of people who believe match grade, boat-tail hollow points shouldn't be used for hunting but the proofs in the pudding. This is a 30 cal. Berger VLD 168 grain at 2685 fps.The bullet entered in the brisket opposit side.post-4096-0-28359400-1319492429_thumb.jpgpost-4096-0-35895300-1319492466_thumb.jpgNow we'll see what this does to his bull in November!

HOLY SMOKES :o ! I've never seen an exit like that! What caliber? 30-06?. Anyway, congrats on the spike to your son. Nice bullet placement ;).

HOLY SMOKES :o ! I've never seen an exit like that! What caliber? 30-06?. Anyway, congrats on the spike to your son. Nice bullet placement ;).

Not a 30-06, it's a .308 Win.

Yikes, now that's some serious energy transfer.

I'm going to try the 130 gr. "hunting" VLD in my 6.5X47L this year. Pretty impressed with the accuracy and longer range consistency.

I just shot my buck the other day with the 210 vld and had a 1 1/2" exit hole. Not bad! That is pretty narley on the exit hole. Thanks for the pics

My dad back in the day shot a small Muley buck with his 22-250 at about 60 yards. The deer ran for about 25 ft. and pumped blood all over the hill side. When we flipped the buck over it had the largest exit hole I had ever seen! I did not think a small round could make such a large hole.

just my 2 cents.

Sundevil thats the same what I thought. Thats alot of meat wasted right there to me. A well placed shot behind the shoulder and a good bullet will do the job. I don't know about you but when I shoot an animal I want as little damage done to the meat as I can get. I shot a deer last year with the Winchester power max bonded and the bullet intered the deer but never left it which means all that energy in that bullet when it hit pushed the deer which in turn knocked him down. Thats what I want and when I cleaned the deer I found the bullet. My buddy shot a deer with my gun also within minutes of mine and both never had a exit and there was still blood everywhere. I my own opinion that bullet may be good on a bull but I think its too much on the deer. Don't get me wrong I think VLD are some of the BEST and ACCURATE ammo you can get just too much waste to me.

Buddy I was hunting with was using a .270 short mag with 150 gr. Berger bullet and it wasn't near what the pic above shows but it left the largest exit wound I have personally seen. Those Berger bullets will do some damage. It didn't help that he was shooting the buck from 50 yards either though... ;)

I use the same ammo in 168 grain, 30-06. They're extremely accurate, and do the job!

Did the bullet really blow the hide off the deer or did

You cut you cut it away? To me it looks like the hide is cut and the actual hole is about An inch or so diameter.

I don't like that kind of performance either. You only get about 45 lbs of prime venison out of these coues. I dont want to waste any if I can help it. I like a .30 caliber entry & if there's an exit, I want it to be about .60 caliber. If it doesn't exit, I hope its because it's lodged inside bone and not prime shoulder meat.