Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

The Billy Coues

After going 2 for 2 last year, Scoutm and I decided to put in for the same hunt again this year. Fortunately we were successful in the draw and made plans to go back into the same area we hunted last year.

Blackdog and I went in and scouted the area 3 weeks before the hunt and saw lots of deer but no shooter bucks.

2 weeks before the hunt, during the youth hunt, Scoutm and I went in and scouted again. This time we found a couple nice 3x3s and another very nice 4x4. He was very close to where I took my buck last year. We spent the morning watching him until he bedded and then hiked to another one of our favorite glassing spots for an uneventful afternoon. This 4x4 had two cheater points and better eye guards than the buck I took last year but for the most part was very similar to the prior years buck. I was guesstimating him at 111.

Here is a short video clip and some field pictures.

DSCN5235.MOV

post-268-0-72703000-1320205166_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-23440800-1320205186_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-15638200-1320205205_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-03492500-1320205220_thumb.jpg

Well the next two weeks couldn’t pass quickly enough. I was slightly concerned about the big 4x4 being taken or spooked by a jr hunter, or possibly someone else being onto him but given how far away from the road he was, I was fairly confident we would be able to find him.

Thurs, Oct 20th found us looking for the big 4x4 with no success. We were glassing from one vantage point that gives you a view of one side of the mountain. This was the side of the mountain we saw him on 2 weeks prior. My buck from last year was taken on the other side of the mountain. We hiked out early to meet Blackdog and get camp set up.

It was discussed and decided that even though we had not seen the big buck on Thurs we would return to the same glassing spot to look for him opening morning and if he was not located within a few hours we would hike around and look for him on the other side of the mountain. After a couple hours of glassing we had found about a dozen bucks but no shooters and not the big 4x4. We made the 30 minute hike to our other glassing spot in hopes of finding him on the other side of the mountain.

A little after 9:30, Scoutm glassed up two bedded bucks. They were about 800 yards out and we were watching them in our spotting scopes. Something spooked them and they both stood up from their beds. When they did, a third buck that was bedded behind a boulder and a tree and was previously not visible, also stood up. All we could see was his head and rack through the tree branches. He was not visible again after he bedded back down but we knew it was a good buck and Scoutm was confident it was the 4x4 we were looking for. Blackdog and I moved up to shorten the distance and hopefully get a shot. We got to 400 yards when some other hunters started shooting. The shots must have spooked the buck because he got up out of his bed and proceeded up the side of the mountain. I hurried up the ridge in hopes of getting a shot but was never able to locate the buck. Fortunately Blackdog had been watching him the whole time and knew right where he was at, just below the top of the mountain. We hiked up the mountain to hopefully find him and get a shot when/if he emerged from his bed. It was 2:00 and we were set up 300 yards below him but it was very steep, very thick and he never came out. At 5:00 we packed up and started the long hike back to camp.

With plenty of feed around, good cover at the top of the mountain and water at the bottom I was confident the big buck would be somewhere close by the next morning.

We made it to our glassing spot the next morning at 6:30 (about 15 minutes late) and I immediately found the 3x3 we saw the day before. I knew the big buck had to be there somewhere and about 10 minutes later I saw him when he stepped out from behind an oak tree. I hurried up the ridge to close the distance as he was already heading up the mountain. With directions from Blackdog I was able to relocate him when I stopped at the 400 yard mark to regroup. He was still out of range and still moving up the mountain. I moved another hundred yards up the ridge and into the shade of a mesquite. I had to find a rock to sit on. It was way too hard to sit on the ground and glass up the mountain. Shooting from this position would be even harder. I moved behind the mesquite but the only rock I could find was too big to carry. I had to roll it into position but fortunately it was flat on two sides. When I got set up, Scoutm talked me in to where he was, 430 yards up the mountain. He was standing behind a manzanita, facing right, with only his head visible. I got the rifle up and was waiting for him to step out. Scoutm called and said he had moved to the left and was out in the open. I looked left and found his head sticking out from the manzanita on the other side. I waited for him to take a couple steps to clear and squeezed the trigger.

Scoutm immediately called on the radio to report he had dropped in his tracks. It was 8:00 in the morning and I could not believe I had just harvested another great buck, one that we had found on a scouting trip and had successfully returned to find and harvest during the season.

It took us almost an hour to hike up to where he was. Scoutm had the chance to fill his tag on the 3x3 that was hanging out at the scene of the crime despite his buddy laying on the ground dead but he opted to pass. Scoutm commented that this buck’s nickname was Billy because he liked to climb mountains like a billy goat. After pictures and butchering we made it down to our glassing spot at 11:30 (grateful someone hadn’t stumbled on our stash of optics and gear) for some lunch, rest and hydration. At 1:00 we loaded up for the two hour, mid-day heat trek back to camp.

post-268-0-73891200-1320207333_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-55572900-1320207349_thumb.jpg

I have to thank Blackdog for coming out with us on our hunt and helping pack meat. I have to thank Scoutm for taking two days out of his hunt to help me find and harvest my buck. I also have to thank my wife and daughter for continuing to put up with my semi-insane obsession.

After a little ground shrinkage he scores 106 and change (same as my buck last year). His main beams are a little shorter than my buck from last year but his kickers and eye guards make him a great buck. I do not know if he was a younger buck than last year or just a smaller deer but he did have a noticeably smaller body. I also took some measurements of their skulls and this buck's skull is 6% to 11% smaller than my buck from last year. You can definitely see the antler similarities between this buck and the one I got last year and get a pretty good idea for the genetics in this area. Hopefully we are successful in next year’s draw and the 3x4 Scoutm and I passed on opening morning makes it through to next year.

post-268-0-11176000-1320207665_thumb.jpg

post-268-0-64052900-1320207677_thumb.jpg

Chris, Congrats to you and Larry. You guys had a good hunt and took some great bucks. Now you can come out and help me find a great buck in Dec....

Chris

Now that is what I call a great writeup. You worked for that one and thanks for taking us along on your hunt. Those are some of the best pictures of the year. Great buck by the way and my concratulations to the team. Good friends are a blessing especially when they can carry out some meat. Awesome ! :)

TJ

Great buck Chris! Congrats on an awesome hunt, enjoyed the write-up!

Awesome Photos and write-up. Thanks for taking the time to inspire the rest of us who have hunts coming up. You guys worked as a really good team. Your patience produced a sweet buck. Congratulations!!!

Very nice buck, Chris. Two bigguns in a row, congrats! Those two studs are quite similar, genetics are obvious in that area!

Great Buck two years in a row. It's really rewarding to have found him during a scouting trip, relocate him during the hunt, have to back out on him, find him again the next day and then finally put him in the freezer. A very rewarding experience - I was blessed to be part of it.

Can't wait to see the double pedestal mount - you can call it bros or at least Cousins.

Congrats.

Great Buck! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait for Friday when I get my change.