Sign in to follow this  
Gut Pile

Vortex 6-20x50 vs. Barska 8-26x 50???

Considering a new scope for my Rem .300 ultra mag ADL. Been looking at a vortex 6-20x50 and a Barska 8-26x50. I'm not very educated in the scope field. I'm not a crazy long range shooter...max for me is 300 yds give or take. I need to build a little confidence to shoot out far. Looking at these two scopes what I want is: EASY TO USE!, good warranty, and durability ( you know coues country :D ) Anybody know bout these 2 scopes? Experience in the field with them? Any help is always appreciated. Just wanna make sure I can make a good, comfy, one-shot-drop when it's time B)

Vortex is a good product if you are not wanting to step up to the high end scope and their warranty is unbeatable. Barska is pretty much a piece of junk, and they do not stand behind their stuff.

If you are looking to limit your shots to the 300 range, have you thought about something like the nikon or burris with a BDC redicle. Heck, with a 300RUM just a regular redicle would work pretty well. No worries about adjustments, and the durability is good.

It depends on which Vortex model it is? But in all honesty, I wouldnt consider a Barska on anything, especially not a 300 RUM, because of the recoil. Im not being a snob either, I ownded a Barska at one point and it was junk. It didnt hold zero and eventually it quit adjusting for windage. With that said, I would get the Vortex if not only for their awesome warranty but I also think it will be more reliable. Also, If your max is going to be 300 yards you will be good with a 14x power scope or less. Hope that helps !!

Barska = crap. Vortex are dang good. I wouldn't put a 6-20 on it if you only want to shoot under 400 yards. I would look into something in the 3 Or 4 to 15 pPower range.

Vortex is a good product if you are not wanting to step up to the high end scope and their warranty is unbeatable. Barska is pretty much a piece of junk, and they do not stand behind their stuff.

If you are looking to limit your shots to the 300 range, have you thought about something like the nikon or burris with a BDC redicle. Heck, with a 300RUM just a regular redicle would work pretty well. No worries about adjustments, and the durability is good.

+1 on both. CAn't beat the Vortex warranty and with a 300RUM you'd be good out to 300 with a standard reticle 3-9x to save some $$.

I would stay away from Barska, NC Star etc. They tend to be chinese garbage made to look like quality.

Now That's why I love this site! Great info guys and thanks for the help. I'll be stayin away from Barska. Also thought twice about the 6-20 power. I'm really not lookin to shoot way out there, so like suggested ,gonna save the money and pass on the dial ups and big power......for now anyways ;) I think I'm gonnna go with the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40.

Now That's why I love this site! Great info guys and thanks for the help. I'll be stayin away from Barska. Also thought twice about the 6-20 power. I'm really not lookin to shoot way out there, so like suggested ,gonna save the money and pass on the dial ups and big power......for now anyways ;) I think I'm gonnna go with the Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40.

Just purchased a vortex Viper 4 x 16 x 44 30mm tube $449 free shipping Optics planet web site Putting it on my 300 win Mag

vortex. never heard much good about barska and they sound kinda commie. and personally, unless i happen to get a good buy on a scope or i put one on a .22, i ain't ever gonna buy anything that won't go to at least 20x. i really like all that magnification and feel it makes me a lot better shot, on stationary things. and i was already like the best shot in the world. running game is a little different. but that's why i like variables. Lark.

Got the Vortex in the mail :) Thanks again fellas!