Sign in to follow this  
rugermack

Josh's second deer

Josh's second deer hunt(leftover tag)

We(me, Josh and Samantha) went out opening morning and saw about 4 does after a morning of glassing. The evening hunt wasn't much better. Saturday morning we glassed up one doe, not much else happening. When I hunt with the kids we always take a break for lunch and recharge our batteries a bit. We go out in the evening and I decide to go alittle lower to see what we could find. On the way to the area that I wanted to check out for the evening, two bucks run past the jeep and into the trees. We get out of the jeep and attemp to pursue them, couldn't locate them, so I continued down the road to glass some more.

About a hour later we end up back towards were we saw the bucks. My daughter sees a deer about 550 yards up on the hill(without binos of course, wish I had her eyes). I glass it and see antlers, at that point I see the second buck go and bed behind a tree, near the first buck. Josh is ready to shoot but 542 yards with the wind is way too much for him. I get the kids ready and we sneak in to 286 yards, all open between the deer and us from there. Sam declines to shoot in fear of wounding the animal and I agree of course and she lets Josh shoot. One well placed shot and the deer is down.

post-5135-0-03034100-1322760261_thumb.jpg

And a second picture with me(the free guide) for got to mention it was 35b.

post-5135-0-34545800-1322760418_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping for a little bit of that luck in about an hour or so... Nice Buck!!!

Awesome Josh! Nice shoot'n on a great buck! Good job also goes to Samantha for spotting it and for giving Josh the chance to bag it! Way to go girl!!!

Congrats Josh.

That's a fine deer and now you owe Sam and need to get her a nice buck next year!

Way to get out with the family.

Thanks guys, it will be Sammy's turn next year. Just need her to practice more. Her older sister is a great shot, but she practiced alot more than Sammy.