Sign in to follow this  
pistoltwo

Quad Abuse

My wife and I hunted Bull Elk in 6A this year and really enjoyed ourselfs excet for one thing. I dont like to be a negitive person but, I have to get this off my chest.

Quads suck when abused!

I can see how they could be used responably.....older guys ( and Gals ) To get some where and get off the thing...To pack out an Animal.

We saw them used @ 5:00 am to run over every road possible untill lunch time and then back up and tumping @ 3:00pm till couple hours after dark. 1 guy wouldn't even sit down, just gave it heck standing up. I wounder if he ever saw an Elk?

I hate saying we neede a law for this or that....I just wish people could police themselfs but after this season I almost wish G & F would split the # of tags and have a quad free hunt and a try and run over an elk season.

Thats all I got...Time to make some jerky

Great website I allways read, hardly post.

• Like 1

Quads bring a class of people alright.. Don't get me wrong they have there place, but I agree, get off and walk!!! Also who wants to ride one when it's cold out.. Buy a Toyota and you can go anywhere a quad goes!!

• Like 1

Quad riders have a crotch fixation - They have to have something crammed between their legs to feel complete! :blink: Thats also where they keep the remote when couch hunting! :blink:

• Like 1

G&F is counting on these quad riders to lower the success rate for everyone so that they can increase the number of tags which means more "hunter opportunity".

I ran into that guys evil twin last year in 27. Standing up riding around, watched him whizz past a good herd bull that had about 12-15 cows. Stopped him a few hundred yards down the road, said he hadn't seen an elk in the 4 days he had been hunting.

• Like 1

The positive aspect of road hunters is that it decreases hunter density actually in the woods. But the hard part in AZ is finding a spot away from a road where critters are not disturbed.

If USFS actually closes a road with a good physical barrier under their travel management plan, that part could be a good thing. (not that all of the TMP is good).

Public land managers are implemnenting travel management plans which should help. The problem is too many roads. Areas that have roads on every ridge top and drainage are a problem. Reasonable access is important too. Personally, I don't have a problem with road hunters, less people out where I go. I do have a problem with "wildcat" off roaders, especially if they are hunters "hunting."

If you don't like quads coming by where you are hunting, then get off the roads further. Personally, I would rather tear the shoot out of my $9K ATV instead of my $60K truck. For those who strictly drive the roads, good luck! I hate driving a truck down a semi rough road, knocks your fillings out every time no matter how slow you go. I took my old 1953 jeep (and later 1942 GPW) out one week and it was worse than being in a truck.

Use them to get from point A to point B and nothing else. This comes up every year as people try to grasp at straws about why they didn't tag out. If you see one crossing a meadow, get the tag with your uber binos and call it in. You see a guy blazing a new trail, use those uber binos and call it in too.

Just an FYI, that "FAT GUY ON ATV ON COLEMAN LAKE ROAD DRIVING AROUND STANDING UP" (not that anyone has said that one yet) was me with a blown out left knee who couldn't sit down, and being in a truck that hit any bump would knock my patella out of position!

• Like 1

I think everyone is being a little too hard on quads. Just like people saying guns kill people.... Its the operator. I own and use two 4x4 quads but you'lll never find me riding them off road. Sure, I'll ride around at all times of the day looking for new areas to glass etc.... Helll, every once in a while I'll even see a deer from my quad but I'm not hunting.

If people used quads/SxS's for their intended purpose (to/from hunting area and for packing out downed game then the world would be a better place.... Of course, that would take morals and ethics from most....

I think everyone is being a little too hard on quads. Just like people saying guns kill people.... Its the operator. I own and use two 4x4 quads but you'lll never find me riding them off road. Sure, I'll ride around at all times of the day looking for new areas to glass etc.... Helll, every once in a while I'll even see a deer from my quad but I'm not hunting.

If people used quads/SxS's for their intended purpose (to/from hunting area and for packing out downed game then the world would be a better place.... Of course, that would take morals and ethics from most....

Ditto

I was camped at a trailhead in unit 27 a few years ago, and some slob hunters pulled up with their quads and asked me how far the trail went. I told them it was far enough to give me time to find a G&F officer who would be waiting for them when they came out. A few dirty looks, and they turned around and left.

+1 Well said Casey. Quads aren't the enemy, they are a tool. When used respectfully and legally, I have no issue with people using quads.

I guess if the guys were driving their jeeps or f150's up and down the road all day it would be ok? Oh wait....they do.

Let's outlaw trucks and jeeps.

I think everyone is being a little too hard on quads. Just like people saying guns kill people.... Its the operator. I own and use two 4x4 quads but you'lll never find me riding them off road. Sure, I'll ride around at all times of the day looking for new areas to glass etc.... Helll, every once in a while I'll even see a deer from my quad but I'm not hunting. If people used quads/SxS's for their intended purpose (to/from hunting area and for packing out downed game then the world would be a better place.... Of course, that would take morals and ethics from most....
+1 Well said Casey. Quads aren't the enemy, they are a tool. When used respectfully and legally, I have no issue with people using quads.

Very good reply.

I guess if the guys were driving their jeeps or f150's up and down the road all day it would be ok? Oh wait....they do.Let's outlaw trucks and jeeps.

Classic and sad because it is the truth.

The positive aspect of road hunters is that it decreases hunter density actually in the woods. But the hard part in AZ is finding a spot away from a road where critters are not disturbed. If USFS actually closes a road with a good physical barrier under their travel management plan, that part could be a good thing. (not that all of the TMP is good).

Public land managers are implemnenting travel management plans which should help. The problem is too many roads. Areas that have roads on every ridge top and drainage are a problem. Reasonable access is important too. Personally, I don't have a problem with road hunters, less people out where I go. I do have a problem with "wildcat" off roaders, especially if they are hunters "hunting."

Be careful what you ask for. Once they are gone there will never be going back. Look at what is happening in Unit 42.