Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

Julie Treed a Big Bobcat today!

I took my dogs for a walk this evening up in the public land north of Globe as we often do. My dogs run free and usually flush quail and maybe some deer and elk, but this time it was more exciting.

Julie (my golden retriever) flushed some quail and they scatter and fly over my head and across the canyon. She loves to flush quail, but when I looked up she was racing around a manzanita near where the quail flushed and acting like she was on the trail of something much better than quail. I kind of just shined it off thinking she was just overly excited to chase quail in the snow and such. Anyway, Sunshine (my other dog) and I keep moving up the dirt road and lost track of Julie. After maybe 10 mins or so I hear her barking on the hill below me. She NEVER barks while we are out hiking...so I figured maybe she treed a bobcat or a coati. I get to the tree where she is and she is jumping up trying to climb the pinyon pine. I look up into the branches of the tree expecting to see something and yet I see nothing! I look and look and think I have a good view of all the branches and can't see anything. So I start thinking maybe whatever it was jumped out of the tree while Julie wasn't looking. But she is acting like she is sure something is up there. I walk downhill and around to the other side of the tree and catch a glimpse of fur and then a whole bobcat hunkered down on a branch (which was out of my view from the other side). Cool! It looks like a big male to me based on his head size, but I usually only see bobcats briefly and this was a real treat to watch it for awhile. It tried to stay stone still hoping we wouldn't see it. Poor Julie never did see it and she finally just decided that it was gone. After I took some cell phone pics and video, we continued our walk. The sun was setting so we didn't have much time. About 20 mins later we are heading back by this tree and I look and the bobcat is still in the same spot. Pretty smart to stay there because if it had come down, Julie would have chased it for sure.

Anyway, it was fun to see the cat...gorgeous colors (although you can't tell from my pics). I only had the cell phone with me, so not the best pics, but enough to give you an idea.

Way to go Julie!

post-1-0-44153100-1323225094_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-09539700-1323225342_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-64107100-1323225368_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-08209300-1323225266_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-20952900-1323225304_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-43177800-1323225358_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-93999500-1323225493_thumb.jpg

No "Bang".....no weapon with me. But you know I am not sure I wanted to anyway...it was so scared looking huddled on the branch. I just really enjoyed the closeup encounter. Man those cats are beautiful! It looked so much nicer than these pics show....

You should see how pretty a beautiful cat looks with a quality tan drapped over a pony wall in the house!

But a neat experience, although I prefer to see my bob cats over the bead of my 12 guage :D

That is so cool. One of the greatest joys of living in rural Arizona is that you can take a hike in the wild just a few minutes from home. If you lived in Phoenix, you would have had to post a story about Julie and Sunshine'sadventures at the dog park.

As much as I want to shoot one I think I would have passed this time. Just to beautiful of an animal. Maybe I really don't want one that bad. Great pictures and thanks for sharing. Go Julie! :)

TJ

what an incredible experience. good job girl. only thing tho, you did it the unsporting way and used a dog. :lol: i'm afeared ya might be ruint tho. treein' a critter has led many a young man down a horrible path. we'll see if a female can recover from it. good job. Lark.

That is so cool. One of the greatest joys of living in rural Arizona is that you can take a hike in the wild just a few minutes from home. If you lived in Phoenix, you would have had to post a story about Julie and Sunshine'sadventures at the dog park.

Exactly what I was thinking! I love living within minutes of public land that is scenic and fun to hike.

what an incredible experience. good job girl. only thing tho, you did it the unsporting way and used a dog. :lol: i'm afeared ya might be ruint tho. treein' a critter has led many a young man down a horrible path. we'll see if a female can recover from it. good job. Lark.

:)

Julie was so happy with her adventure. I just wish I had been able to show her where the cat was up in that tree so she could have seen it. She got all pumped up and when we continued on our walk she took off following some scent and awhile later I saw very fresh tiny javelina tracks in the mud.....I got worried she was gonna get into a herd of pigs, so I called both dogs back and went back by the bobcat.

Yea that was really cool but.....no KABOOM!!!???? Amanda you should always carry a pistol with you! Remember...always use protection!!

Ernesto C

I'm a big supporter of always carrying. Society is a bunch of whack jobs and nothing has proved that to me more than working in central booking and the 4th Ave Jail! I seem to carry more for the two legged animals instead of the four legged ones!

Very cool photos Amanda, I want a bobcat mounted chasing a quail so bad. One day I will get my chance!