Oh yeah, try not to be pissed at me because I'm only 15 ;)

Troy, I have been putting in for close to 40 yrs now and I'm beginning to think it just isn't going to happen. It's the only thing that is keeping me from the big 10. It's not a big deal for me to get the big ten but I would like to draw a sheep tag. I've watched you grow up here on cwt and seen the success you have achieved and I'm really impressed with you young man. I don't know anyone who would be pissed at you for drawing this tag. I'm so happy for ya and I think you know how fortunate you are to be so much ahead of the game. If I had known you had this tag I would have been there invited or not. You shot a great looking ram and you are blessed to have a family and so many friends that support you. My hat is off to you. Just awesome!

• Like 1

troy,

very nice, i've been waiting for the story! was very nice to meet you and your family, tell them all thanks for all the good grub! wish i could of been there for the kill,

but had a heck of a great time helping the first couple of days. You stuck it out, and hiked were ever i pointed you with NO complaints or groumblings at all, your welcome at my fire any time, and i hope to be able to hunt with you again real soon. you are very fortunate to have the friends that you do, friends like that are very hard to come by, i know what kind of friend matthew is, and although i just met the other guys they are out of the same mold, and they also are welcome at my fire anytime and i hope they read this as well, and that i get to hunt with them again soon too. What a fabulous websight that has brought some many different people together, that i would of never of had the pleasure of meeting and hunting with .

Congrats on the ram i told ya the miss was no problem and that you'de get another chance, glad it all worked out for ya, but i'm bumbed i dont get to come back during christmas break to hunt some more with you guys.

it was a great time

tommy

• Like 1

Congrats on a great ram. You are truly lucky and hopefully the sheep bug bit you and you will be a lifelong sheep hunter! You have many years to complete that slam. Instead of saving $100 a month, get a good education that will lead to a good job and achieve your goal that way.

Troy,Did you kill your ram on the east side of the Mowhawks [Luke AFB side]?If 40B was your unit it came down to the sheep that you shot,which was a wide flaring ram, or the one that I killed last year.There were 6 rams together,but the choice came down to one of these two.I didn't realize all of this until talking to one of my friends that was there.Hunterdan told me to look at the picture of you high fiveing at the back of the pickup.It's the same ridge system that I killed my sheep on!!!!Congrats on a great sheep-you are one lucky boy,as I had put in for sheep almost 3 times as many as you are old!!!!Very nice,Cliff

Cliff, I had the great pleasure of meeting you in Brians sheep camp last year and at the banquet. I was the first guy that showed you the picture of the ram you ended up killing on the east side. Troy's ram was south of Mohawk #2 tank in the middle of the range. We were on some other great rams in the Coppers opening weekend and we just didn't have luck on our side. We were on the 2 rams I had been watching for Troy for a couple months and got some good stalks in and a shot, but just didn't have that little bit of luck we needed. The second weekend they had moved in the Coppers and they only had two days to hunt that weekend so Brian and Craig had seen this ram and said he was really wide. In fact I am sure he is Chiphorns Brother. So when we found him that width and blonde color was so beautiful Troy was ready to put him down and that he did. Congrats again Troy. Here is the picture of the first ram I called Chocolate Ram. I watched him for a couple months along with some others which include the ram in the non-coues deer trail camera pics in the top 5. This ram was playing in the elephant bush alot this year. He is real pretty too but Troy's ram was gorgeous as well. Troy did such a great job and made such a good shot, maintaining his composure like he had killed a 100 rams before. While I was hyperventalating watching him in my 15's repeating relax squeeze the trigger, which he didn't need any coaching because when he turned broad side he squeezed that trigger just fine. Congrats Troy and thanks again for letting me be a part of such a great hunt. As Ernesto would say "You are the Man Troy".post-539-0-75286800-1324345923_thumb.jpg

The smile says it all!

TroysRam081.jpg

• Like 1

Nice Ram!!! I'm putting in for sheep next time around for sure!

I just wanted to add a story about the ram that got away.

I've yet to see a game animal that acted as wiley as this bighorn did.

For all you guys that say sheep are dumb, and easy to kill, you have finally met your match.

This all started after spotting the ram on a North facing rocky mountain slope.

He was feeding right to left, without a care in the world, about 600 yards away.

I contacted Ernesto and Tommy to let them know I had a ram. I told them to come to my location as I would need help to keep an eye on him while

Troy would close the distance for a shot.

As I watched him through the glass, something caught his attention and he looked right at me. I immediately grabbed my GPS, hanging around my neck, thinking that the glare off the screen must have reflected a flash of light and spooked him. I was cursing at myself for making such a stupid mistake.

Right about then, I hear loose rocks and gravel from behind me. It was Tommy, making his way towards me as I had asked. I turn to him and go "SHHHHH!"...knowing he was what the ram had heard. Tommy then tip toes to me and I get him on the ram.

No sooner than we start whispering about the ram, here comes Ernesto...again breaking loose rocks and gravel. We quiet him down and by then, the ram moved to a location that partially covered his body. THE RAM WAS HIDING FROM US. I couldn't believe it! The ram was practically "peeking" around a rock outcropping looking at us across the valley. This went on for what seemed like an eternity until he disappeared from view. We start wondering where he might have gone. There was no way he left the canyon without us seeing him do so.

So now what?! Well, Ernesto volunteers to get Troy into position 300 yards away from where we think the ram is. Then we play the waiting game.

The waiting game starts to get old quick as light is fading. We had to force the issue.

I break out my coyote howler and start a sequence of howls. We all watch through the glass, waiting for the ram to step out. Troy is in position and ready to take him...nothing happens. So I proceed to get louder and continue with several more sequences. Nada.

Ernesto begins to look for rocks...no boulders, to throw down the ridge he's on, so the ram might come out.

He successfully hurls huge chunks of rock down the canyon and we hear the loud boom as they explode upon impacting the bedrock below.

Still, nothing. Now, Ernesto starts to doubt the ram is still there. He asks me repeatedly if the ram could have sneaked out a backdoor somewhere.

I'm adamant and say again, that there is no way I could have missed him leave the area. No way at all.

Ernesto decides to do his best impression of Spiderman and climb the rockface that is restricting his view of where the ram may be. A very dangerous feat in itself, as those who know the area can attest to. It takes Ernesto a while, but he gains some elevation and a different angle, then he confirms my words. The ram is hiding in a cave BEHIND the rock outcropping. Unbelievable.

Light is fading and we have to force the issue even further.

Tommy volunteers to walk towards the rams' hiding spot and get the ram to show himself. Troy is at the ready behind the rifle as Tommy makes his way down the canyon, and up the other side towards the ram. We figure, as long as Tommy stays below the ram, the ram won't spook too bad and may offer troy a shot. As Tommy closes the distance to 50 feet, the ram finally shows himself. The ram literally PEEKS around the rock. The ram now see's Tommy and the ram effortlessly climbs the rock outcropping 20 feet high.

This is the part that will forever be engrained in all our memories.

That ram was so majestic standing on top of that rock. With his dark chocolate hide reflecting the light and accentuating his muscle structure. It was awesome to see. Matthews Dad Phil, friend Mark, and Troy's Dad Mark can agree, since we watched in awe.

He does present a shot, and well, the miss is high, and the ram lives another day.

Troy gets that "practice shot" out of the way and well, the rest is history.

Congrats again on you success later in the hunt Troy.

As for Mathew and Ernesto...."You Da Man!"

Click on the pic to enlarge.

post-67-0-23928600-1324705318_thumb.jpg

I do believe this is the same chocolate ram that Matthew had been keeping an eye on...

post-67-0-48072400-1324736513_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wow!! Somehow I missed this thread until today! I got the pic texted to me back when you shot the ram, but thought you hadn't posted the story until it popped up again today after Chef added "the rest of the story"....wow what a story and congratulations on a great ram!!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing Hector. Great rest of the story! :)

TJ

Matthew, you're getting the tag next year! Thanks everyone for replying and Chef for finishing the story!

• Like 1

Good finish to the story! Thanks Hector. Troy's old man needs to take credit for the missed shot. I ranged him at 400 yards, "just by that red rock". So I had Troy dial 400 yards into the scope turrent. Only I was looking at the wrong "red rock". When he finally popped out and I saw him for the first time, it was by a different "red rock". By then we had lost enough light that I could not find him in my cheapo bushnell archery range finder. Finally, I told Troy to go ahead and take the shot. The ram was actually at 300 yards, and Troy put the bullet just where it was suppose to go, 2 inches high into the rock wall behind the ram. ARRARGHH!!!!

I agree with you, seeing that ram stand straight up with his front legs high looking down at Tommy was the most majestic and incredible thing that I have ever seen!

Thanks again to the many friends who made this hunt successful!

Mark

• Like 1