Sign in to follow this  
rcdinaz

Who is shooting a 6.5mm

I am looking at what my next rifle project will be and want some feedback. I am either going to do a light 6.5mm or go big and do a .338. for te 6.5 I was looking at the 6.5x55 or the 260 rem. Only reason I have left off the 6.5x284 is I already have a 6mmx284 and getting ammo mixed up could be a potential nightmare.

What 6.5 are you shooting and how do you like it?

What would you have done differently?

I am shooting a 6.5WSM. No feeding issues with the sharp shoulder. Using WW 270WSM brass.

Maybe would use a 1-8 5R instead of the 1-9 polygonal, but I originally chose the twist for using 130gr bullets, not 140gr.

I shot my last mule deer with a 6.5 Remington Magnum, an overlooked and often controversial caliber, mostly because it was introduced in the Remington Model 600 carbine.

Mine is a Model 700, with a longer barrel that gives it much better ballistics. It does everything I want from a small-caliber rifle. With 140-grain bullets it is suitable for everything in Arizona, including elk out to 300 yards.

In Europe, the 6.5x55 is used on everything from 60-pound roe deer to 750-pound moose.

Bill Quimby

We have a 6.5x55 that has been passed down for three generations. Brass was hard to come by 30 years ago for it and was only available by Norma. My dad once made me cross a deep canyon to go back and look for my empties after killing my first buck. "you left 35 cents on that hillside". It's a great caliber, Between my dad, son and myself it has taken well over 35 coues, several mule deer in Wyoming, and a couple of elk. We shoot 120 grain sierras and load with imr 4831.

I shot my last mule deer with a 6.5 Remington Magnum, an overlooked and often controversial caliber, mostly because it was introduced in the Remington Model 600 carbine.

Mine is a Model 700, with a longer barrel that gives it much better ballistics. It does everything I want from a small-caliber rifle. With 140-grain bullets it is suitable for everything in Arizona, including elk out to 300 yards.

In Europe, the 6.5x55 is used on everything from 60-pound roe deer to 750-pound moose.

Bill Quimby

Bill, Can I ask you what caliber the donor rifle was? Shayne

Shaynec:

It came from the factory that way. Remington apparently made a short run of 6.5mm RM in its Model 700 BDLs years ago, and I wound up with one. I believe they made a few thousand more a couple of years ago. It's a fine caliber.

Bill Quimby

I have been thinking about rebarreling my Win mdl 70 270wsm to 6.5 rem mag but the wsm has a slightly bigger bolt face. It would probably be fine but I hav'nt got that far yet. By the way, there is no logic involved in this redo, just trying something differant. I have a 260 and a 6.5-06 but they are not quite perfect so i keep building. shayne

Good info, thanks!

6.5 WSM sounds interesting.

I have a 6.5x284 that is one of the most accurate rifles I own. A friend of mine built a 6.5x47 Lapua for his son that is crazy accurate and very light with very mild recoil. Another friend is bringing his 6.5-.06 to Mexico next month. A different friend has a .260 remington and is currently building a 6.5 WSM. Seems like 6.5's are taking over the hunting world but I really don't think a guy can go wrong with one!

I'm shooting 130 grain JLK's out of mine and it will shoot 1/4 MOA all day long!

Good feedback!

I like the 6.5x284 but I already have a 6x284 which uses 6.5284 lapua brass necked down. Too much of an opportunity for disaster with the same head stamps so I was staying away from that one.

I am leaning towards the 260 or the 6.5WSM. This will be a project for next year.

Got to ask.

Tam, what is a JLK?

Court shoots 120 sierra's out of her 264 win mag. 57 grains of 4350 gets her 3100fps at the barrel and she shoots under a moa out to 750 yards. I really like how that bullet performs.

Brent

JLK is a brand of bullets nearly identical to Berger but in most cases they have a higher ballistic coefficent. They use the same exact J4 jackets as Bergers and the same manufacturing process/technology to make them. Needless to say they have the same devistating effects on animals that the Bergers do. I use them in both my 300 RUM and 6.5x284 with outstanding results.

http://www.swampworks.com/jlk/

Good feedback!

I like the 6.5x284 but I already have a 6x284 which uses 6.5284 lapua brass necked down. Too much of an opportunity for disaster with the same head stamps so I was staying away from that one.

I am leaning towards the 260 or the 6.5WSM. This will be a project for next year.

Nothing wrong with the 260, but of the two you mentioned I'd go with the 6.5 WSM.