Sign in to follow this  
rcdinaz

Who is shooting a 6.5mm

I am hearing alot of talk about the 6.5 Creedmoor.

demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/Cached - Similar

I do not know if this link will help but it has some great info on all above mentioned rounds.

Don't try to take your 6.5wsm to mexico or europe until they start making brass headstamped for it. It can complicate a customs firearm inspection. shayne

Wow never thought of that!

If I start this project that narrows it to the 6.5x284 or 260 RM I guess. Or I guess you could have a customer barrel unmarked and register it as a 270 WSM and use that brass. Good thing to think about!

Wow never thought of that!

If I start this project that narrows it to the 6.5x284 or 260 RM I guess. Or I guess you could have a customer barrel unmarked and register it as a 270 WSM and use that brass. Good thing to think about!

I seem to be a bit of a thread killer but, I know a lot of people cruise thru customs, but for me in Mexico and S.Africa my handloads really got scrutinized and matched up to the gun. shayne

I shoot a custom Thompson Encore, Heavy Barrel, 6.5mm x 264 win. Awesome gun! It shoots sub 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I've killed a lot of rocks at 500-1000 yards:)

Adam

I have been shooting my dad's sporterized swedish mauser 6.5x55 since I was old enough to shoot, about 8yrs old. He killed plenty of deer, coyotes, groundhogs and many a targets. I love it and it performs as my go-to gun. Liking the cartrigde, I put together a 6.5x55 TC Encore with a 20" 1:8 fluted heavy Shilen barrel. It is nice. I also have a TC 15" 6.5x55 barrel justin case I want to pack it in. All seem to shoot 120gr, 139gr or 156gr quite well. When I make mre time, I will figure out which barrel likes what rounds the best. I am not sure why the 6.5x55 is not more poplular in the US. Good BC. Low recoil. What is not to like?

I know this is an old thread but here is my two cents. I have owned and built several 6.5 and personally prefer the 260AI over any of them. The 6.5wsm is cool but uses double the powder and recoil to out run the ackley by 180fps. Personally i would rather have the more efficient cartridge over the overbore one. The 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 are also great calibers that perform very near to the 6.5wsm without using near as much powder. My ackley runs at 2950 with 44 grains H4831sc with room for more while my 6.5wsm ran 3130fps using 67.5 grains of Retumbo both using 26" barrels and 140 bullets. The 6.5-284 is a true 3000fps cartridge while using around 49 grains of powder. Just food for thought.

I just put my fourth 6.5 barrel in 6.5x47 on, have shot both 6.5x55 and .260 Rem, not a nickels difference at least on a 700 action. Used to have a Swede 96 also. Don't know why metric calibers never really caught on here until Rems 7mm Mag. On my deer rifle, I'm in the 06 family, got a 30-06, a .280 barrel in the safe and a .270 that is my favorite. Just my two abes.

STOMP442,

it's funny you mention that the 6.5x284 is a true 3000fps shooter with 49g. I'm actually shooting mine right now testing some loads. I've had more people than I can count tell me if I wanted a 3000fps gun I picked the wrong caliber.

I can achieve 3000fps in my rifle but the loads are just too hot and won't group at all past 100. I'm ok with that though. 2800-2900 still gives me plenty of energy for coues at long range.

I think the 6.5 x 284 would be my next choice, if I went custom. It's an interesting cartridge. I read that it became popular back in the 90's as a 1000 yard competiton shooter because of it's inherent accuracy. I have never shot one, so I don't really know either way. I also read that barrel life is about 1200 rounds on average.

I have built two 6.5-284s and both were easily capable of 3000 fps. The sweet spot for the Berger VLDs I have found is right around 2950 however and holds true for both 6.5-284s and my .260 Ackley. The hornady Amax and Sierras performed best for me at velocities above that. Typically with VLD style bullets groups at 100 are not that great and especially so with the longer 6.5 bullets the reason being that they need a little more time to settle down and stabilize. The powders that have given me the best results as far as accuracy and velocity are H4831Sc, H4350 and Ramshot Hunter.

I'm shooting the 140 AMAX with H4831SC. How far off the lands are you seating them? My rifle is not a custom build so I'm having to work a little harder to find the right load.

Most of my rifles like them seated right around 25 thou off the lands. I have one that prefers them just touching the lands.