WFGinNM

TX Whitetail in NM

After a year and a half of waiting and some scouting (the unit was 4 1/2 hours away), I went on my whitetail hunt in Eastern NM last week. The country is extremely void of cover and these deer were harder to hunt than antelope. Instead of running a few hundred yards if they spooked, they would run over the horizon miles away. We glassed a few bucks, and on the 3rd day I decided on the buck I wanted to try for.

Glassing using the truck for a wind break in the 30 mph winds, the temp was in the single digits without the wind.

NMWhitetail087.jpg

Terrain

NMWhitetail095.jpg

Small herd of Whitetail about 3/4 mile away (pic through the 15's)

NMWhitetail090.jpg

After watching the herd bed down about 9:00am we watched them all day from behind a few different hills from about 800 yards depending on the wind.

NMWhitetail097.jpg

After waiting until 4:20 in the evening the herd finally made it within 350 yards feeding and I shot this buck, 8 point with a broken point and a 15 1/2" spread.

NMWhitetail112.jpg

NMWhitetail106.jpg

Another pic from were we camped the next day.

NMWhitetail126.jpg

We took two bucks from this herd (my friend's was a 9 point with a 8 1/2" spread) but I need to ask my friend if I can post a picture of him.

The deer had bigger bodies than I thought and that was deceiving in judging them from a distance. I plan on hunting this TX sub-specie again probably in a different unit though just to explore somewhere new.

Take care,

--Bill

That looks like some harsh weather to be hunting in. Glad you connected. Congratulations! :)

TJ

Brrrrrrrr.... makes me cold looking at the pictures! Congrats on a successful hunt!

Thanks everybody, it was a different hunt. The picture where I'm just wearing the sweatshirt is because we were hiking and I didn't want to sweat, just after the picture the layers were put back on.

Here are both the deer.

NMWhitetail125.jpg

--Bill