COOSEFAN

Any info on beetle cleaning?

With everyone killing pigs now, I was wonderin' if anyone has had their skull taken to have the beetles clean it. We took a lion skull in once a few years ago, we took it to ASU. A supply warehouse for ASU around the 202 and the 101 interchange was the pickup place. My buddy(taxidermist) called them several times and they never called back. We were going to take our 2005 archery pigs in and mine is still in the freezer because I don't know where to take it. If anyone has had it done lately please let me know where and how, I appreciate it. This is my pig from last year, it is right at 15" inches using calipers. The hunt was in unit 21 and was the hardest one I've had, very warm and wet last year, and this was the first pig I had seen in 8 days! Thanks for any info, JIM

Mullins2043.jpgMullins2040.jpg

Hey coosefan, I just got javelina skull back and It came out great. I won the process on E-bay from a guy in arkansas. He lets the beetles do their job and then he will degrease the skull and finally bleach it. The turnaround time was only about 2 1/2 weeks. Here is his e-mail address:rgmsix@hotmail.com I hope this helps you.

COOSEFAN,

Without a doubt, the best place to have this done is by Skulls unlimited. I checked for a javelina and it is $85. I had my WT done this year. It was back to me in about a month.

They do work for museums and anything relating to the osteological world. Not only they use Demestid beetles, but have a protective dip it goes through to guarantee no yellowing. My deer skull is unbelievable. -Shiras B)

skullsunlimited.com

that pig is freakin huge!!!! yeah check ebay, i have been talking to a guy who does it for you, or he sells bettles. super nice guy

Nice stink pig.

Ditto what Shiras said, Skulls Unlimited gives very good results. They clean it with the beetles, degrease it, bleach it and then seal it. We have had 3 bears and a javelina done by them and they are all very good.

If you don't care too much about it, you could try and get your own pile started. One year we placed a couple skulls inside a fenced in area so dogs couldn't get at them and then we just let them start to rot. The maggots did some work and then dermestids naturally just came in and cleaned up everything that was left and the skulls came out perfect. We then bleached them with 40 volume hydrogen peroxide (obtained from a beauty salon) and they came out looking very good. We put another skull in the same place the next year and the dermestids came back and cleaned it. The last several years we have tried the same thing, but the dermestids have not come back so the skulls still have a lot of dried on tissue left and we will probably have to just put my brothers javelina from last year into a bucket of water and have it cleaned by the process of maceration.

Thanks alot for the info, I wrote it down and will check out skulls unlimited. My buddy is a taxidermist and needs a place that does the beetle stuff so I'm sure that will work out great for him as well. Thanks again! JIM

Guest Ernesto C

Congratulations Jim,if it is 15 inches he qualifies for the B & C book.

Ernesto C

Hey Jim,

Nice hog!!! What did it weigh?

I just got my lion skull back from the ASU thing and it turned out nice. Cost $25.00 and all you have to do is remove the eyes tounge and brains. They also want you to bring it in some kind of sealed bag. Go to the same building you were talking about and knock on the door and ask for Collene.

Bowhuntcoues

Hey Jim,

Nice hog!!! What did it weigh?

I just got my lion skull back from the ASU thing and it turned out nice. Cost $25.00 and all you have to do is remove the eyes tounge and brains. They also want you to bring it in some kind of sealed bag. Go to the same building you were talking about and knock on the door and ask for Collene.

Bowhuntcoues

Thanks Ernesto C, I checked the records last year and if I remember correctly, I think my pig would be one of the largest archery pigs entered from unit 21. The skull green was a hair over 15"inches and I was hoping with the beetles it wouldn't shrink TOO much, still my biggest though and would be cool to enter it. BowhuntCoues, I think that Collene lady is the one that wouldn't return our calls, but all we were wanting to know was if they were still taking skulls in at that place and at what time. So thats good to know they are still doing it. I have always intended to weigh one of my pigs but have never done it. I don't know exact weight but I've killed more than I can count on my hands and helped kill twice that many and had never seen a bigger one. I'm 6' 2" and weigh 210 so that gives a little more idea of this pigs size. Thanks for the info! JIM

Jim,

They are finising my hog right now, I guess they had a colony die off and they just picked up a new one. I would guess you can stop off anytime and talk with her and she could give you a shedule. Good luck.

Hey coosefan, I just got javelina skull back and It came out great. I won  the process on E-bay from a guy in arkansas. He lets the beetles do their job and then he will degrease the skull and finally bleach it. The turnaround time was only about 2 1/2  weeks. Here is his e-mail address:rgmsix@hotmail.com I hope this helps you.

hey coosefan, I have a nephew that does the skulls, he doesn't use beetles but he does a great job of boiling and bleaching, the skulls come out great, he has had alot of practice doing them for all of our freinds and family and doesn't charge a whole lot of cash, if youre interested I can send some pics.

Hey coosefan, I just got javelina skull back and It came out great. I won? the process on E-bay from a guy in arkansas. He lets the beetles do their job and then he will degrease the skull and finally bleach it. The turnaround time was only about 2 1/2? weeks. Here is his e-mail address:rgmsix@hotmail.com I hope this helps you.

hey coosefan, I have a nephew that does the skulls, he doesn't use beetles but he does a great job of boiling and bleaching, the skulls come out great, he has had alot of practice doing them for all of our freinds and family and doesn't charge a whole lot of cash, if youre interested I can send some pics.

Thanks bowcrazy, I appreciate the offer but I am trying to avoid the boiling to minimize shrinking. I don't honestly know to what extent boiling shrinks skulls but it appearantly is enough that alot of guys don't do it to skulls they plan on having scored and a fraction of an inch can make a big difference. I applaud your nephew for his desire to do that, it's very tedious work! JIM